• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Daemon Tools Lite- Malware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is a very fair statement and I think your theory may be correct. If daemon tools intended to do this on purpose, it would have ocurred in all instances, not just one specific one.

FireFox FTW!

I hate IE. and I have been using daemon tools for eons now, with no issues. but again, I have IE disabled, so I have never had to deal with any of this crap :p

Without spending an hour on the net use reg. tweak above to kill all search boxes in IE :burn:. Some of those boxes used to phone home to their own servers. If thats how we "pay" for freeware would rather buy the license.

I have install Daemon tools lite on many computers I'd worked on, none of which install the search bar automatically on both XP and Vista machine unless I leave the check mark check.

Not to beat the point to death but...if u space on the install and leave the box checked there still should be an out. With this version there is no out even when you uninstall the prog. Freeware keeps getting smarter and smarter.

Oakstave if you want some more fun try to completely uninstall Ubuntu from the live cd without reformatting the whole drive. :)

No thanks!!!

@ oc_newbee... If you read the thread carefully, you'll see that PeteyG359 made the same claim, and it's not quite true. If you configured IE without any search bar (See Post #18 above for how to do that) It won't even have the box to check when you install Daemon tools. It just installs it anyway, with no options to opt out, as my screen shots clearly show.

While I think they ARE in fact getting more and more clever on how to get you to install their extras, as mentioned I think this is essentially a glitch and not intentional.

In fact, before I wrote this thread it never occurred to me that I would be practically the only one who thinks a search bar on your browser is a redundant waste of real estate in the age of tabbed browsing. If you have a tabbed browser, and Google is your homepage, why would anyone need a search bar?? :shrug:

Anyway, this thread is pretty much put to rest. Basically I ended up spending a lot of time convincing people that what I saw was real. :)

In fact, before I wrote this thread it never occurred to me that I would be practically the only one who thinks a search bar on your browser is a redundant waste of real estate in the age of tabbed browsing. If you have a tabbed browser, and Google is your homepage, why would anyone need a search bar?? :shrug:
CTRL+T -> TAB -> search term -> ENTER
>
CTRL+T -> www.google.com (or ALT+HOME since it's a reach) -> search term -> ENTER

:p
IE apparently has an option to open home page on new tab, though - so guess that's what you're using. Opera/FF (my mains) don't have visiable options to do this.

CTRL+T -> TAB -> search term -> ENTER
>
CTRL+T -> www.google.com (or ALT+HOME since it's a reach) -> search term -> ENTER

:p
IE apparently has an option to open home page on new tab, though - so guess that's what you're using. Opera/FF (my mains) don't have visiable options to do this.

Exactly! :attn: Search Bars are for noobs! :D

i thought i'd add this

http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/why-daemon-tools-lite-v4-48-1-sptd-1-84-comes-spyware-34457/

it's offiial apparently. what i'd like to know is how to identify seemingly suspect registry entry / spyware stuff as it's installed.

i'm trying to sandbox most apps, to try and keep that 'new car smell' fresh when I surf and work, but I just googled to see if it's worth having the sptd driver... and disturbed a waspy spyware nest !!

guess i need to master process monitor... so much 'noise' generated in reg activity though...

(thinking aloud pre-spyware-related nightmares :)

dtlite /nogadget /nocandy might work, might not... packaged with spyware called showpassword... I just had to ask...wtf. guess I'll echo elsewhere

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :)

good ol mbam

1577d1384138522-why-daemon-tools-lite-v4-48-1-sptd-1-84-comes-spyware-dtmalware.jpg

Iamjonny, that is pretty abominable for them to be doing and even worse the support "answers" they gave.

I remember there was a program I used a long time ago that would watch key parts of Windows, lock them down, tell you if a program attempted to make a change, and ask you if you wanted it to go through. It was similar to Spybot's TeaTimer, but much more robust. That may be a starting point.

Back