• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Day Z Mod for Arma II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have updated my first post with a link to the awesome map of the land.. Its the best one out there!

I also added the youtube instruction link there as well..

Yeah you have to download each file separately... Once you do install them, keep checking that site for updated files!

It is somewhat of a pain but, I am still enjoying the game. :)

Last night I wanted to try to make some progress, and when I joined the servers, it was around 9:00pm EST, it was complete darkness. On top of that it was raining like CRAZY. It went on like that for about an hour or a little more.

I just gave up trying to get gear in the cities and proceeded to run north. 1.5 hours later, I am finally up near the big airfield. I stopped along the way to check out the Green Mountain, which has a huuuge antenna on it. No buildings I could enter though, aside from climbing halfway up the tower.

After sightseeing there, I began my trek northward again, upward. Here is my take on this:

You will notice in the chat that a lot of new comers are meeting at the 2 big cities, cherno and electro. Bandits are there waiting for them and sniping everyone. I gave up on going there and I am checking out the rest of the map.

I suspect the 'real' players are up north in the woods and NOT using the in game chat. They will be using direct chat, or their own voice system like Vent or TeamSpeak.

I have seen some videos of groups who are nowhere near the big cities, with jeeps and helis hidden in the forest. It takes time to find the parts and rebuild them, but now they are a fully mobile force. I aim to either steal their stuff or make my own jeep/car/bus etc.

This game is incredibly deep!

Group of Bandits with a chopper!

holy **** dude! im getting so over excited about this! i wana play now. lol ive downloaded all the files. and i shall be buying the expansion and installing tonight ( maybe playing if i can persuade my gf to let me hehe) What server are you on? Or do you just end up picking the one with the best ping?

holy **** dude! im getting so over excited about this! i wana play now. lol ive downloaded all the files. and i shall be buying the expansion and installing tonight ( maybe playing if i can persuade my gf to let me hehe) What server are you on? Or do you just end up picking the one with the best ping?

Yeah I usually try to find the best ping / decent amount of players..

Remember: all servers are based on their local time! If the server is for you lets say in London England, and its 9pm, well its 9 pm on the server and it will be getting dark!

You can use this and try to join other servers around the world where it might be light out still, but your ping will suffer.

A very notable point:

Sometimes the mod is soo overwhelmed that is takes literally 30 minutes to finally get in, even if the server you are joining is only lets say, half full!

You will be sitting at a screen that says 'waiting for server response'. Its not the server you are joining apparently, its the persistent world / character data central server that is overloaded I believe.

Be patient and it will catch up. The creator of the mod, 'Rocket' is actually a developer who works for Bohemia Interactive, the company that made Arma II and they are very happy with his work and as a result, trying to help him out also I am reading. Hopefully that waiting message will be gone soon!

Last edited:
I see they have free demos for both Arma II and OA. Can you run the mod from the demos or do you NEED to purchase the game in order to play the mod? :sly:

It always caught my interest.

Anyways, so I'll share my first time experience. Logged on for the first real time this morning, the server was dark (est. time). Bad choice. Without any good supplies (i.e. chemlight, flashlight), I was forced to run around in the dark. Which was annoying. Then there is the in-game audio, which makes it scary. Then some zombies came real close, and ran by, which made me want to crap my pants. One came up behind me, and I was so scared I pumped half a mag into it. This game is real. Never has a game ever been so intense, at least in all my gaming career. This one is a real experience. If you don't have it, get it. If your friends don't have it, get them to get it.

It always caught my interest.

Anyways, so I'll share my first time experience. Logged on for the first real time this morning, the server was dark (est. time). Bad choice. Without any good supplies (i.e. chemlight, flashlight), I was forced to run around in the dark. Which was annoying. Then there is the in-game audio, which makes it scary. Then some zombies came real close, and ran by, which made me want to crap my pants. One came up behind me, and I was so scared I pumped half a mag into it. This game is real. Never has a game ever been so intense, at least in all my gaming career. This one is a real experience. If you don't have it, get it. If your friends don't have it, get them to get it.

hahaha YES i like the sound of it more and more. Ive been so freeking busy the last few days i haven't had a chance to do anything. And im out tonight as well!!! this might have to be a weekend mission with my mate.

Ive changed my avatar now. I think its appropriate for me :clap:

I tried to get into a server last night and it wouldn't work. I read later that they had central server issues, and a lot of the game servers had to be reset. OH well. Maybe tonight!

X@nder36 yes it is a very real experience.. lol! Its just such a refreshing change from the normal 'games'... I wish the zombies had varying speeds, and didn't run in wacko patterns! One thing to watch out for at night, a lot of people crank up the gamma to give them some night vision.. So you have to be extra cautious when moving about, even though you think you are hiding, you might not be :/

Yeah its cool. but very "real" and can be frustrating.

Spent all day on it yesterday, had my Winchester, alis pack and lots of water, food, ammo, and meds. Equiped with knife, flaslihght, map, compass, tool box etc...sweet revolver....well got too comfortable in a town up north/inland. Got smeared (broken bones, gushing blood totally fighting tooth and nail for my "life") by a horde of zombies (killed like 100) ......lost everything. So today after woork, I restart my quest and will be alot more cautous....uugh.

No room for complacency.....very unforgiving.

LOVE IT!

I play on Dallas 9 server under Frogbones

Last edited:
Yep me my brother and a guy named brian been playing together, with 3 or more people together, once you get to know that map a little its fun as hell, popping my Enfield into the air to incite every zombie for a 1/2 mile just to keep the excitement going!

Anubis- on steam and ingame hit me up!

How is everyone sneaking around zeds in the cities? I've been experimenting with crouch walking vs running, but the jury is still out; whats the most efficient was to move around without being noticed?

You can sneak around using crouch walk, but if its day light you can be visible at close range.. keep in mind its still alpha and I am sure they are tweaking the range at which a zed can see or hear you..

yeah, I'm thinking crouch walk is best. I just can't stand it when a zed 100m away runs over and starts attacking me

Ok so finally got round to playing this yesterday and wow what a wikid game. Me and a mate were playing together ( kept respawning until we were close enough to meet up along the coast line. But wow alpha's suck. So many glitches :(. We had managed to scavenge two Winchester rifles ( i think they were Winchesters) + ammo. two tool kits and various other things. This was mainly due to some insane sneaking/ prone bits. But then we both got ****ed up by an invisible zombie. which only appeared after 10 min of us being attacked. Also when we had finally killed it. We got disconnected then realised the game hadnt saved our chars till before we found the rifle/ everything else that was good.

RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :p

Either way when this game is out of alpha it will be amazinggggggggggggg! Seriously the most fun ive had playing a game coop for a VERY VERY long time. its refreshing actually playing a game with an element of danger to it! I think they should make scavenging a little easier though. it feels like sometimes you end up crawling prones though a town infested with 100 zombies check about 5 houses and come out with a can of beans :p. It feels like a lot of the finding stuff is pot luck. Also i wish you could get silencers hehe

So I installed A2 and A2: OA, and I can't play the mod. Every time I try to join a server is says somehting like I have unsigned keys or something and I have to go into the Arma 2 folder and delete all of these files. This is very disappointing.

Back