• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr2-6400 on p5w dh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aabdou

Hi All,

I am pretty new to this game, so I wanted to get some input from the veterans here.

I have an ASUS p5w dh, a dual core e4600 2.4GHz, and 4gb of corsair ddr2-6400 RAM.

I changed the FSB on the mobo from 200 (default) to 250, increasing the CPU speed from 2.4 to 3.0Ghz (without needing any voltage changes).

But I notice on bootup that the memory is being recognized as "PC2-4800"...

Here's the question:
What needs to be done for the ram to be running at "PC2-6400"? In the bios, I noticed that the DRAM frequency is set to default. I can change the frequency to DDR2-833Mhz, but there isn't a DDR2-800Mhz... Can this damage the memory?

The ram frequency is linked with the fsb. Setting 833 should not be a problem. Frequency is usually not what damages ram, it's too much voltage that can kill it. Make sure you have the voltage for the ram set. Most mobo's default to 1.8V. You're ram may need more voltage to run at stock (consult the documentation or packaging).

Back