• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 1600-2400 4x4GB vs 2x8GB AMD FX 8300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tteksystems

Some great deals on g.skill recently.
16GB kit@$109 + a 5%-10% discount, w/free ship.
G.Skill Sniper Series 2x8GB 1866 10.11.10.30 shipped: $104 & Arrived Friday
Seems many 16GB kits@ great prices this weekend

I know some may have similar questions as I do. My hope is there is some up to date testing that has been done to justify any answers to my questions.

My main question:
1)Is the IMC limited when using 4x4GB as opposed to 2x8GB?
Also:
2)Does the better hardware available today have the ability to maintain consistent performance when using both IMCs instead of just one?
3)If using both IMC's impedes performance, is there a detailed explanation why?
4)Is over-clocking greatly affected?

I read posts claiming the IMC has more stress when using both IMCs.
Most of what I have read is a year old and I have not seen any up to date information that clearly explains what differences between using 2 IMCs vs 1 IMC

I have AMD FX 8300 95W Vishera CPU
Currently I am using Samsung's low voltage DDR3/1600 16GB (4X4GB)
Samsung did not make 16GB dual channel kits for this memory

My specs: ASUS Crosshair V Formula z, 2-ASUS R9270-DC2OC-2GD5 {CF}, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Western Digital Blue 1TB, Seasonic SS-860XP2 PSU

The system will be for some semi serious gaming but I also will be using it for recording music. I play guitar and do instrumentals mostly so the noise level of the system is important but not very critical. My case is well ventilated and I plan to install water cooling setup soon.

I want to be able to get great performance, decent, stable over-clocking

Other than the obvious... {adding another 2x8GB kit}, What problem might I expect to have if I use 4X4GB instead of 2x8GB?

I read 4x4GB is more stress on the IMC. But there are 2 IMCs, right? So each IMC manages one dual channel kit. Is there a reason that using both IMCs will cause any noticeable difference in performance or the ability to over-clock the FX 8300 or perhaps the FX 8320?

If performance is affected when using the 2nd IMC, aren't the latest hardware enhancements prepared to manage these issues?

I was thinking maybe there might be higher temperatures when using the second IMC during over-clocking. But we can get better cooling solutions {liquid/water} to resolve this, right?

I have read there should not be any noticeable difference between 2x8GB vs 4x4GB. But a relevant post read - when over-clocking, I might get more stability @ higher frequencies with 2x8GB. But if i have a good PSU, there probably will not be any difference.

But I would like to get some feedback if possible. I want to overclock but not trying to break any records. A stable over-clock between 4.6 - 5.2GHz is supposedly an easily achievable goal when using good quality hardware.
I think I have some of the better hardware to achieve 4.8GHz. But I have yet to find peace of mind regarding my memory configuration.

Thanks, and again sorry for the lengthy post. I promise to lessen the size of my posts in the future. :chair:

There is only one IMC, and without water cooling 4.5-4.6 is a more reasonable goal. ;)

2x8GB is better idea but some high density IC are not working good on AMD. For example I had some issues with Crucial BallistiX 2x8GB. At stock clocks ( so 1600 ) I had to use manual settings and I couldn't run them at 1866+ at all while on Intel boards the same kit was working without issues @2133 ~1.5V.
I saw no real difference running 2 or 4 sticks but most of them were 2 or 4GB modules. I guess it depends more from the board, BIOS and maybe IMC but in general new platforms have no issues with lower density 4 memory sticks.
You may have problems with 32GB support on AMD but not with 8-16GB.

Back