• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1.8V ok for I7??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

canadian_mofo

Registered
So i have 4X2GB 1800 8-8-8-24 of Corsair Dominater ram thats rated at 1.8V however i only installed 3 of them to get them running in tripple channel in my Rampage III Extreme with my I7 950. Now i hear that anything over 1.65 can really damage the cpu on an I7. So really i havent touched the ram settings in the bios to get it running at its exact ratings as im scared to put it above the 1.65V as everything i read says its unsafe. Now is there a safe way of doing this or should i just go and get some ram thats rated for 1.65V or lower?? Any help would be appreciated.

Well, 1.8v is a bit much but you should be able to swing it I think. You NEEEEEEED to make sure though that your QPI is within .5v range. That means your QPI MUST be above 1.3v. Running it lower and you could very well damage something.

I really havent read about many people running higher volt ram, only see people over-volting ram but you MUST raise the QPI voltage.

Maybe someone else can chime in that has experience?

I thought we covered this in your "Ok to use this ram??" thread...:shrug:

It's okay to run RAM above 1.65v, your RAM is rated at 1.8v so it will run at that voltage without problems. Your QPI must be a minimum 0.5v less than the RAM voltage, so 1.3v.

So set your QPI voltage between 1.3-1.35v and the RAM voltage at 1.8v and you're good to go.

Back