• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

So I haven't played with DDR3 for a while now but one of my older pcs (the grey one in my sig) needs a bit more ram so I was going to buy a 16g set for it. Looking over Newegg shows a limited selection for the PC2400 range so I figured I would start searching for used sets. What was the preferred chip from back then? I seem to remember Hynix but don't remember for sure. Any input would be great. Thanks!

Depends on the platform.
Elpida Hypers were king. They're getting pricey now.
For 16 gig you'ed be looking at 4 x 4 gig sticks.
That'll be a little more difficult because the good kits were usually 2 x 2 gig sets.

Last edited:
I don't think real DDR3 chips were ever made faster than 2133 MHz.

If you want the highest quality, avoid the usual retail brands and instead buy used from eBay by selecting module brands like Samsung, HP, Micron (not Crucial), Nanya, Hynix, SKHynix, and Elpida. Most of the products will be 1600 MHz or 1866 MHz, but those rated for 1.35V should be the most overclockable because they can also be run at 1.5V, and the chips are officially certified for that voltage as well. Be careful to avoid registered/buffered server modules.

Back