• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 RAM with LED lights?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

Hi all,

I'm working on a build that's a bit on the flashy side :chair: and seeing as I'll be using an XSPC Raystorm block on my CPU with two green LED lights, I was hoping I'd be able to do the same with my RAM.

Currently, I have some Patriot RAM that I wouldn't mind swapping out if something exists that meets my criteria. Basically, any DDR3 SDRAM (preferrably quad channel) of 16GB or 32GB capacity. I don't particularly care about speed as I won't be overclocking or benching, but 1600 would be nice.

I know of the Crucial Ballistix Tracers with the red/green LEDs but the red wouldn't really work with my case.

I'm also aware of the Corsair Dominator Platinums that have a white LED, and although the site says the light bar can be changed, I haven't been able to find any green light bars that I could swap out.

I was thinking of something along the lines of this, an offering from Avexir. While that'd be my ideal solution, finding any product from them anywhere online yields little result, and of those results none of them have green LEDs. I've been trying to contact their salesperson to inquire about having some manufactured and I haven't gotten a response.

I could also go with these RAM light strips (which come with the added benefit of having multiple modes for the lighting). Or I could buy my own strip of green LEDs and wire something up myself (no such lighting effects but I could live with that).

I'm kind of stuck on what to do though, and I was hoping the community would be able to give me some guidance. If anybody has any better solutions or knows of any other manufacturers that would make such a thing that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Sweet! I had no idea. I thought they didn't give you a choice. In that case, I may have to pick these up then. Thanks!

if I'm right then you can adjust brightness in soft too ... didn't check that as I have elites and tactical series only

Thanks pwnmachine, I plan on making a build log. I just have to find the time. It's my new year's resolution...

And much appreciated Woomack. I'm going to do some more research into these. I think I prefer these over the Avexir modules. Crucial's been around a lot longer and they make quality products that many trust. Just can't be sure about that with Avexir just yet...

Now for the hard questions... 1600 or 1866? :p And should I just go with green or get two green/red and two blue/orange (my build is green and orange)... hmm...

1600 are overclocking almost the same as 1866. On both you can count on something like 1866 8-8-8-24 1.50-1.60V. About the same chips are in Elite series so you can compare that in reviews.
On the other hand I sometimes see 1866 in almost the same price as 1600 so it's better to pay a bit more to be sure that you get better sticks.
With some luck you can set them to 2133 9-9-9-27 1N 1.60-1.65V ... not that you really need it but just as an info ;)
They should also work @1600 7-7-7-20 1N 1.50-1.60V.

Yeah the price difference is quite marginal between the two. I think I'll go with the 1866. I think the premium will be worth it for the peace of mind at least. Thanks again!

:shock:

Didnt even know you could get LEDs on RAM sticks....
That was my same reaction when I found out :p

I'm glad I've decided to go with the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracers. I hadn't realized it before, but Avexir's lights are not dynamic. They pulse on and off but they don't respond to memory usage like the Ballistix do, nor do they seem to have any standard timing to them so they'll never be synchronized for more than a few seconds if that.

Edit: I realize that the Ballistix won't be synchronized either, but at least the LEDs do serve some function other than just bling.

Hi all,

I'm working on a build that's a bit on the flashy side :chair: and seeing as I'll be using an XSPC Raystorm block on my CPU with two green LED lights, I was hoping I'd be able to do the same with my RAM.

Currently, I have some Patriot RAM that I wouldn't mind swapping out if something exists that meets my criteria. Basically, any DDR3 SDRAM (preferrably quad channel) of 16GB or 32GB capacity. I don't particularly care about speed as I won't be overclocking or benching, but 1600 would be nice.

I know of the Crucial Ballistix Tracers with the red/green LEDs but the red wouldn't really work with my case.

I'm also aware of the Corsair Dominator Platinums that have a white LED, and although the site says the light bar can be changed, I haven't been able to find any green light bars that I could swap out.

I was thinking of something along the lines of this, an offering from Avexir. While that'd be my ideal solution, finding any product from them anywhere online yields little result, and of those results none of them have green LEDs. I've been trying to contact their salesperson to inquire about having some manufactured and I haven't gotten a response.

I could also go with these RAM light strips (which come with the added benefit of having multiple modes for the lighting). Or I could buy my own strip of green LEDs and wire something up myself (no such lighting effects but I could live with that).

I'm kind of stuck on what to do though, and I was hoping the community would be able to give me some guidance. If anybody has any better solutions or knows of any other manufacturers that would make such a thing that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Looks like really nice build up...Have you completed it or can you share some pics of your project? Waiting for response:attn::attn:

Looks like really nice build up...Have you completed it or can you share some pics of your project? Waiting for response:attn::attn:
I wish I could say that I am or that I do, but unfortunately life got in the way :(

I do plan on finishing this hopefully soon, and I'll be sure to post all the pics I can. Thank you for your interest :)

Skorpien. Those Crucial Ballistix with Orange/Blue LEDs are on sale for the next 48 hours on Newegg. 29.99 plus free shipping ;)

Thanks for the heads up, but I already bought 16GB (4x4GB) of the red/green from Newegg :)

Just checked it out. The deal doesn't apply to the Canadian site :( I was thinking of picking up some more (possible future build) but it's only on the US site.

Back