• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 on 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mogar

Registered
It's now the time to start overclocking, I'm confident that the system is stable. I have some 3200 14-14-14-34-1 g.skill in it.. But running it at those timings results in crashes. Within 3 minutes of boot up. Dropping it down to 2933 (my motherboard has no other settings than 2133, 2400, 2666, 2933, 3200) results in stability, but crappier performance.
I tried playing with SOC voltage, resulted in system crash.
DRAM voltage, no stability increase.

Where do I go from here? CPU isn't overclocked yet. I wanted to play with memory first because it's what I have the hardest time with and want to get more acquainted with it.

Did you try XMP first? Then try one stick at a time to see if you have a defective memory stick.

Can try DDR VTT voltage if you have it in your motherboard's bios. Set it at 1/2 DIMM voltage ( this is max you can set ). Can also try higher DIMM voltage and then DDR VTT to the max. I was testing 3 memory kits on exactly the same IC and one of them required 1.4V DIMM voltage to run at 3200 while others were fine at 1.35V ( all of them can make 4133 on Intel boards ). The same on ASUS and Gigabyte. On Gigabyte there was no VTT voltage but I guess that motherboard is automatically adjusting that when DIMM voltage is higher.
Also first slots on Ryzen are 1/3 counting from CPU side, not like on Intel 2/4. Can try if in 1/3 slots memory works better.

Did you try XMP first? Then try one stick at a time to see if you have a defective memory stick.

Luckily enough I have a neighbour who's pc I built with a 6600k in it. So yesterday after it didn't work in mine I took it over there, xmped it, benched it, gamed on it. All was fine.
Pretty sure it's my system. I've always had a harder time with AMD's

- - - Updated - - -

Can try DDR VTT voltage if you have it in your motherboard's bios. Set it at 1/2 DIMM voltage ( this is max you can set ). Can also try higher DIMM voltage and then DDR VTT to the max. I was testing 3 memory kits on exactly the same IC and one of them required 1.4V DIMM voltage to run at 3200 while others were fine at 1.35V ( all of them can make 4133 on Intel boards ). The same on ASUS and Gigabyte. On Gigabyte there was no VTT voltage but I guess that motherboard is automatically adjusting that when DIMM voltage is higher.
Also first slots on Ryzen are 1/3 counting from CPU side, not like on Intel 2/4. Can try if in 1/3 slots memory works better.

Thanks for the insight Woomack,
I have them in 1,3 slots right now. I'll try upping dimm voltage to 1.4 and ddr vtt to 0.7 and see if that works.
If it doesn't I guess I'll try slots 2,4. After that I'm not sure what I'll do.. I was really hoping to be able to OC these sticks to 3800/ 4100. But.. will Ryzen ever be able to support it? :(

Luckily enough I have a neighbour who's pc I built with a 6600k in it. So yesterday after it didn't work in mine I took it over there, xmped it, benched it, gamed on it. All was fine.
Pretty sure it's my system. I've always had a harder time with AMD's

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the insight Woomack,
I have them in 1,3 slots right now. I'll try upping dimm voltage to 1.4 and ddr vtt to 0.7 and see if that works.
If it doesn't I guess I'll try slots 2,4. After that I'm not sure what I'll do.. I was really hoping to be able to OC these sticks to 3800/ 4100. But.. will Ryzen ever be able to support it? :(

1.45 Dimm Voltage and 0.720/0.730 DDR VTT failed, 1.4 dimm v and 0.7 ddr vtt also failed.
Guess for now I'll just have to try and tighten up the timings for 2933. :(

Updated bios. Booted into 3200mhz, got halfway through aida and then an irql / system service bsod. How disappointed I am right now :( Well I guess I'll do research to see if I can fit an NHD15 in my lil case so I can play with the cpu at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Or do any of you know if I'll have to remove my top mounted fans on my corsair 400c to fit it? Just curious

There is enough space to install even the largest cpu cooler + fans on top. Noctua D15 is not larger than motherboard and above that you have exactly space for fans. On the other hand you don't need fans on top for this build. Ryzen is not heating up much.

Well... Hopefully Ryzen memory gets fixed soon. Otherwise I might just leap to cannonlake. Wish I had never gotten rid of my Ivy..

Generally I had no issues on 3 motherboards and about 7 memory kits. One kit was fully stable in all tests but was acting weird while playing games for longer and I'm not sure what was it as games were randomly shutting down ( like 1-2 times per day without any error ).
On ASUS X370 Prime I had to set higher VTT to make memory stable and all memory kits were working fine.
On Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 I had to set VDIMM at 1.4V to make all higher memory kits run stable at 3200. All lower series were working at all auto/XMP settings without issues.
On Biostar X370GTN all memory kits except one are working without issues at all auto settings ( default voltages etc ).

Generally I had no issues on 3 motherboards and about 7 memory kits. One kit was fully stable in all tests but was acting weird while playing games for longer and I'm not sure what was it as games were randomly shutting down ( like 1-2 times per day without any error ).
On ASUS X370 Prime I had to set higher VTT to make memory stable and all memory kits were working fine.
On Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 I had to set VDIMM at 1.4V to make all higher memory kits run stable at 3200. All lower series were working at all auto/XMP settings without issues.
On Biostar X370GTN all memory kits except one are working without issues at all auto settings ( default voltages etc ).

If only I was as skilled as the Mighty Woomack.. I'm just a plain ol 2933 chump

Hey Howboudah,
0.95v SOC, 1.4 DIMM v, 0.75 ddr vtt volts has my memory running at 3200mhz, stable for 5 minutes now.
Paired with 3.7ghz Ryzen 1600 on stock cooler I think it's going to perform quite well.

Thanks for help guys!

PS I will overclock my chip to 4ghz somehow, some way, when I decide to purchase more cooling for it.

Hey Howboudah,
0.95v SOC, 1.4 DIMM v, 0.75 ddr vtt volts has my memory running at 3200mhz, stable for 5 minutes now.
Paired with 3.7ghz Ryzen 1600 on stock cooler I think it's going to perform quite well.

Thanks for help guys!

PS I will overclock my chip to 4ghz somehow, some way, when I decide to purchase more cooling for it.

nvm. unstable.

Back