• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debating playing with AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, I am waiting for Zen also. I'll probably get one to play with as it will be new to everyone and there wont be the wide knowledge base on it. Based on current rumours, I'm not convinced they're going to beat intel "per core" but if they give you more of them, that will change the value proposition and it will be interesting to work that out.

Until then, I'm still figuring out folding...

AMD already offers more cores. Most Intel chips are either 4 or 6 with hyper threading which isn't actually an X86 integer core.

Surely Intel's single core IPC offering is nice. But like any hardware there's ups and downs. Look at AMD for example. You can run that bus clock from 200 to 350 still. Gives more options to explore different tweaks to the system. And the price point.

Hope you stick around a bit. When a ZEN lands at my house, I'll be de-lidding it. It would be grand to get to it before any one else and we can have a look under the hood. If there are different options available such as quad then octacore, then I'll likely do both to see if a quad looks similar like the FX do. It'll be interesting.

F@H - I've done quite a bit of this in the past. But the electric bill didn't agree after time. And then there's only a score. I get a number at the end of the day. Pretty much that's all it is. It became a waste of HW, time and money. Even though for a good cause, it's a very slow process to find results. But still was fun to be on a team and what not.

I don't think AMD is looking to "beat" Intel. But what's really neat with AMD is that they try something new when they release something big. Unique. Different. Last time with FX processors, the added super long pipelines gave the ability to smash world records in sheer clock speed. Nothing to turn a cheek to like most Intel guys do. A gratifying feeling running LN2 and benching in the 7ghz area and higher ya know?

It is hard to sift through the speculation of what Zen might be but I do look forward to seeing what they bring next, and will aim to test it myself also. For my main uses, the extra cores of current CPUs don't currently offset the lack of performance compared to Intel, but I am a niche case and recognise that for more typical tasks it is more interesting.

Running costs when folding or otherwise are also a consideration. At this time of year it is useful heating.

Back