• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delidding Ivy Bridge Without a Razor Blade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think I rather leave my CPU alone cause I am in no way in danger of running too hot.

If you can't afford to void the warranty and kill it, don't even think about delidding.

This sums it up nicely.

I had saved up for a new chip before I delidded. Lost over 20c, went up another 200mhz. Could go higher but I'm talking a 24/7 OC. Had used the razor method, but will be using the hammer method on a build I am doing for my less than PC savvy brother.

If you are willing to take a risk, and that risk level being heavily dependent on ones ability to not rush and do things correctly, the hammer method looks to be much safer than the razor method. I've read a number of posts from people who delidded and messed up their chip using a razorblade, and they did not have the money for another. They should not have taken the risk.

Nah, google it "I killed my 3770k"

Within the last few days or so. The guy was pretty stupid. "I didn't have a razor so I used a kitchen knife" then posted pics he took chunks out of the pcb, then to add insult to injury, it put it in the mobo and powered it up.... $500 worth of hardware up on smoke

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done it. Hammer > razor. Hands down.

On ocn forums there's a tally... 100% success rate with hammer

You MUST MUST MUST have the right vice, a secure mount, and a good hard piece of wood. I used a 1" wide x 1/2" thick x 6" long piece of poplar.

Within the last few days or so. The guy was pretty retarded. "I didn't have a razor so I used a kitchen knife" then posted pics he took chunks out of the pcb, then to add insult to injury, it put it in the mobo and powered it up.... $500 worth of hardware up on smoke

How does somebody think of this as a good idea. I would kill for a chip that nice, and he killed it with a freaking kitchen knife.

Within the last few days or so. The guy was pretty retarded. "I didn't have a razor so I used a kitchen knife" then posted pics he took chunks out of the pcb, then to add insult to injury, it put it in the mobo and powered it up.... $500 worth of hardware up on smoke

Could you please post the link? Couldn't find it!

Noway im delidding my $319 CPU.I've seen this hammer and wood way a few weeks back and i still have no desire to delid mine.Besides mine doesn't get that hot anyway compared to a lot of 3770K's.

Oh man! If some guru at Intel sees this, they may do something crazy like solder the lid to the chip! Creating a great thermal conductive solution for the CPU.....oh....wait....

I'd have to imagine that they would laugh. "These people are trying to save money by running the CPU beyond its rated specifications, but some of them end up having to buy two because they destroyed the first one."

Yes I agree it's not about making a CPU last longer, it's about bragging how cool your temps are at the risk of $300.

Last edited:
Back