• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desktop freeze, but not total pc freeze?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

After some recent issue that should be solved now, a new one has come along. My pc will freeze, theres no set time for when i happens, today it went many hours with out it happening, i played bf4 and watched streaming.

Anyway, thw issue is, lets say i have firefox open, and a stream running. Then suddenly thw stream will freeze, but sound keeps going, all bhe desktop is like a frozen image. I can hit alt+cntr+del, and i will get thw options screen, no matter what i press it will return to the frozen desktop, but if i press restart, or anything then thw sound from the stream will die, but the desktop will remain, frozen and unchanged.

Anyone have a clue why this is?

I would guess faulty video driver and/or overheated vid card. The usual suspects.

I will have to agree.

I turned off tri-fire and went for crossfire seemed, also removed a piece of visual software.

So far much better. I think my motherboard causes tri fire issue, cos all the cards work the same.

Its starting to feel like its one of the other, a GPU with small issue.

I think it could be Firefox, and adobe flash player, it seems like its when im watching a stream on Veetle.

Not sure if you can, but in Chrome you can disable Hardware acceleration.
Not sure if Firefox has that option.

I have come up with a new theory.

Shortly before all this started to happen i played around with the BLCK. I run it at 100.7, but could this be the cause of my issue?

I have come up with a new theory.

Shortly before all this started to happen i played around with the BLCK. I run it at 100.7, but could this be the cause of my issue?

Probably not.

I'm running on 104.5 Bclk right now, and have been stable for over 3 weeks :)

Ok, so its not firefox.

Im down to the bios update or amd drivers or something with the motherboard.
Or maybe its my temp monitoring software?

Shutoff anything uneccessary - don't need temp monitoring or background utilities running constantly. Approach it scientifically - reduce the number if variables and observe results. So far you are stumbling in the dark paying attention to whatever you stub your toe on. ;)

Note the time when the issue starts. Check the event viewer after the freeze I'd over or when you reboot, see if there are any errors in the system or application event logs at the time you noted. This rarely gives a clear answer but often gives some indication of where the problem started.

Update all your drivers, especially chipset, audio, and video drivers and see if the problem goes away.

When the issue occurs, press Ctrl+shift+esc and see if task manager will load for you. Sort by processor usage or memory usage and see if something is spiking resource usage - often a broken prices will soak up CPU or RAM and is easy to recognize because it keeps growing or remains high. Task manager probably won't load however I'm guessing when the issue occurs.

I believe i have located the software.

Its the Aquacomputers Aquasuit for my Aquaero LT 5. At nothing happends whens its no running, and it does have contact with my desktop, for the temp gauges.

Back