• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help, at my wits end.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cizar39

Registered
Hello, (first off, if there is a better forum for this, please move it. I'm just so damn desperate right now)
I built my computer roughly six months ago.
Specs: i6600k, ASUS z170-e, GTX 1070, EVGA SuperNova G2 850, Corsair H80i cooler.
For the past few months there has been this issue that presents itself mostly when I'm playing games.
The lights on my mouse and keyboard with both go out, the screen and sound will freeze but all the components inside my PC will still be working. Lights on, fans going, etc.
I have tried literally everything, from re-seating everything to exchanging the PSU, move the Graphics card, taking off my overclock, uninstalling programs, unchecking the USB Root Hub, and switching the power mode off Eco on the PSU, plus many more.
I can usually get it to reproduce the problem playing games for long enough, it will eventually happen. Sometimes, it will have twice or three times in succession, other times it can be a week and I think I solved the problem with the latest "fix" I tried.
I can't think of any more. I've browsed through all sorts of things and I just can't get it fixed.
I need help in the worst way.
Thanks!

What are the max temps you are reaching on the CPU cores and the GPU when gaming?

When these lights start to dim, is there anything else that happens? Do you lose mouse or keyboard function? Have you checked for temp-related downclocking?

Is the system overclocked?

Max temps on GPU don't exceed 70c, on the CPU they didn't exceed 70c when overclocked and they don't go much past 50 when I took off the OC.

It happens instantaneously. Lights go out on the keyboard and mouse, screen freezes and I cant use mouse or keyboard.

System is not overclocked at the moment. How would I check for temp related downclockimg? Even then, it usually only happens when I'm gaming.

The Intel CPU base clocks at 100c, so you are plenty safe. Try a hard drive test, then try using the onboard Video.

If both CPU and GPU are maxing out at 70c then you aren't getting temp-related down-throttling, at least not for those components.

This could be a buggy driver problem with video or USB. Make sure you have the latest video driver installed from the Nvidia. Don't be content with the one Microsoft supplies.

I would also disconnect any and all nonessential USB devices such as printers and web cameras and external storage. Try not using USB 3.0 ports and only USB 2.0 for the rest and see if this helps you narrow the culprit down.

Does your case have good ventilation? Are motherboard components getting too hot? This does seem to be some kind of temp-related issue since it only happens when you've been gaming for quite awhile. Does this happen consistently at some specific point in a game?

Thanks for the replies. Only USB items I use are keyboard, mouse and headset. All the MB components seem to be heat wise. I use HWMonitor for that.

I'll move the the mouse and keyboard around. I had done it in the past, but I'll try it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Drivers at up to date on my GPU. Not sure about the USB ones. Something to look for on the ASUS site maybe?

You might try the drivers on the Asus website but realize Windows updates will likely kick them out next time there is a Microsoft update pushed. Another thing you can try is go to Device Manager and right click on the USB items to see if there are newer ones.

I was able to update one labelled ASMedia USB 3.1 host controller, but that was it.

I also switch the video card into another PCI-e slot and plugged my mouse into my keyboard instead of the computer.

USB 3.1 is not a mature technology yet. I would look at that one closely. If you don't need it try disabling it if the new driver doesn't help.

For sure.
Gonna play some Witcher 3, that gets the juices going on the PC and will often result in an issue if there is going to be one.

Hello, (first off, if there is a better forum for this, please move it. I'm just so damn desperate right now)
I built my computer roughly six months ago.
Specs: i6600k (Don't you mean i5 6600k?), ASUS z170-e, GTX 1070, EVGA SuperNova G2 850, Corsair H80i cooler.
For the past few months there has been this issue that presents itself mostly when I'm playing games.
The lights on my mouse and keyboard with both go out, the screen and sound will freeze but all the components inside my PC will still be working. Lights on, fans going, etc.
I have tried literally everything, from re-seating everything to exchanging the PSU, move the Graphics card, taking off my overclock, uninstalling programs, unchecking the USB Root Hub, and switching the power mode off Eco on the PSU, plus many more.
I can usually get it to reproduce the problem playing games for long enough, it will eventually happen. Sometimes, it will have twice or three times in succession, other times it can be a week and I think I solved the problem with the latest "fix" I tried.
I can't think of any more. I've browsed through all sorts of things and I just can't get it fixed.
I need help in the worst way.
Thanks!

So update:
I have my mouse plugged into my keyboard and it's been roughly 24 hours without a crash. I've been playing games for most of the day. No freezing. I wonder if it was the USB thing?
That said, sometimes I go several days without an issue, so I'm not 100 per cent yet.
One thing of note, some have said the Razer Synapse software that comes with Razer mice is an issue. I have disabled it for now.

So update:
I have my mouse plugged into my keyboard and it's been roughly 24 hours without a crash. I've been playing games for most of the day. No freezing. I wonder if it was the USB thing?
That said, sometimes I go several days without an issue, so I'm not 100 per cent yet.
One thing of note, some have said the Razer Synapse software that comes with Razer mice is an issue. I have disabled it for now.

razer synapse is like cancer. every time you think you got rid of it....

razer synapse is like cancer. every time you think you got rid of it....

Seems like I have read this somewhere else as well. I wonder if there is a cleaning utility to get rid of all traces of the razer driver/software?

Yeah, I'm not sure.
So far, no crashes. I put the Synapse program to offline. I read that when it tries to sync with the cloud, that's when it freezes.
I also have the mouse plugged into my keyboard (Corsair K70). Mouse is a Razer Mamba Tournament Edition.
I've restored my overclock, so we will see.
I'm nervously optimistic the issue has been resolved.

I had this same problem when gaming but only when it was very hot outside. And when i take of the side panel the problem disappears my cpu never goes above 45c with the oc so i figuree out it was my gpu, that i believe was overheating. However according to afterburner my gpu temps never got above 65c.

Well, after week of no issues, it happened again this morning.
World of Warcraft was on in the background and I was alt-tabbed typing something up for work.
I now only have the keyboard attached to the motherboard USBs. I moved the headset to the front of the computer case, where there are two USB ports. I will see if that works. Seems odd if the MB can't handle several USB connections, but that could be the case I suppose.

An interesting note, perhaps:

When both the keyboard and mouse went out and the computer froze, I unplugged the keyboard and plugged it back in. Keyboard lit up, mouse wouldn't.
Computer was still "running" as nothing on the interior had shut off. Fans all moving, etc. I don't know if that means it's a mouse issue or not. Just odd.

I know this is going to sound totally off the wall but I think you should remove the cooler and CPU and check for bent socket pins and/or burned contacts on the underside of the CPU.

After the CPU is removed shine a flashlight onto the socket pins and look at them from different angles to see if any are out of alignment.

Last edited:
Back