• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help, at my wits end.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This sounds like something i had for a while on AMD side, my Sabertooth motherboard simply hated my mechanical keyboard, it randomly turned off and seemed to freeze the computer but if i unplugged it and plugged it back in it resumed like nothing happened. It was either a bad Windows install or bad driver but a Windows re-install cured it completely, never had it again. Using a CM Quick Fire TK.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I am likely going to try both options.
Something I forgot I did was plug my speaks back in to the motherboard. I had unplugged all non-essentials until yesterday when I wanted to listen to some tunes without my headset. Might unplug that again and wait a bit to see.

Ok.
I took the CPU out and noticed no pins were bent. What I did notice was a some gunk on the underside of it. I gently took a q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol to it and it got rid of it. I thought at first it was a scratch on the underside of the cpu, but it wasn't. I've since put it all back together.
Could a little gunk like that cause freezes?

Ok.
I took the CPU out and noticed no pins were bent. What I did notice was a some gunk on the underside of it. I gently took a q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol to it and it got rid of it. I thought at first it was a scratch on the underside of the cpu, but it wasn't. I've since put it all back together.
Could a little gunk like that cause freezes?
Depends where the gunk is at. If it's in a position to limit or stop electrical flow between the CPU contacts and the socket, then yes it could cause a number of problems. If the gunk was not directly on the CPU contacts or socket, then it is probably not a contributing factor.

Reinstalled windows this morning.
I had the same freezing issue after I cleaned and re-seated the CPU last night. Hadn't tried a free reinstall, so I've done that now. Time to see how it goes.

Computer restarted itself when I wasn't home today. Kernel power 41 (63) error in the event viewer. I'm trying one more thing, plugging the power cord right into the wall and not into the power bar.

So it happened again. Keyboard and mouse go out.
Is this a motherboard or a CPU issue. I'm at the point where I'm going to buy a new one of each tomorrow. I don't know what else could be the issue.

Thoughts on if I should replace MB and CPU? What else could possibly be the issue, I've tried literally everything.

I'd start with the MB. If that doesent solve the issue, you can try the CPU. Motherboards tend to experience far more failures than CPUs. I dont even know if I've ever seen a defective Intel chip unless it was overclocked.

Yeah.
Seems odd the MB would be faulty and the computer would still work properly most of the time.

memory errors can cause havoc on a new build if the mb and mem dont jive. make sure your running the mem at its rated speed while you troubleshoot.

Memory is running at 2133, which is what they came as.
I updated several drivers yesterday, including the USB ones. Everything is fine at the moment, but I know that can always be misleading. We will see what happens.

So it has been two weeks.
GOOD NEWS: No crashes, no restarts, no freezes, etc.
I think updating all the drivers helped, and perhaps the reinstalling windows, although it happened again after that.
But I've ran it 24/7 (as I always do), played games and the rest of the stuff and it seems to be fine.
I wish I could nail down exactly what fixed it, but I'm leaning toward the drivers for the USB ports on the motherboard.

Back