• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI NF4 UltraD bad caps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I had this board quit on me lat year country/team cup and of course haven't done anything about it. Last I ran it I had many C{Us through it for that hwbot prime add up they did. Then IIRC I had a hard time with a dual core core just wouldn't boot all I got was a quick fan spin and some leds. Still the same if I put a single core in it'll start up everything and stay that way but doesn't post. It also doesn't cycle through the start up leds at all just solid red. There is also a DRAM voltage jumper on this board and I recall if I set it then the board did about the same as it does with the dual core in just won't boot at all but not even a fan spin just quick lights. I"ve found a couple of caps that are slightly swollen but nothing terrible. Any thoughts?

P1400473.JPG P1400475.JPG P1400476.JPG

The caps aren't the issue. They're on their way out, but not to the extent that you're seeing.
A couple questions:
When you moved the 4v jumper, were you completely disconnected from power?
Have you tried a proper DFI bios clear?

Not this time but I did initially followed your old directions. Yes the power was drained when I set the jumper. Tried it a few times and always the same result. Just no boot. Switch the jumper back and it would boot fine. Pretty sure I didn't zap it since I used it afterward. Last yeas I even removed the bios chip and flashed it. Still no love

Awdam what a shame. I'd recap all of those caps and pray to the overclocking gods to resurrect it from the dead. Bring that sucka back to life no matter the cost! ;)

Not this time but I did initially followed your old directions. Yes the power was drained when I set the jumper. Tried it a few times and always the same result. Just no boot. Switch the jumper back and it would boot fine. Pretty sure I didn't zap it since I used it afterward. Last yeas I even removed the bios chip and flashed it. Still no love
Yeah...that's not a good sign.

Hmmmmmm. It's like it wants to start but just doesn't have enough gas.

Soltek boards were notorious for it. I have a few here still.

Hell yeah. i remember most of my Epox boards had that problem as well. I made several trips to my local RatShack for new caps. I also cannibalized dead boards for their caps, lol.

Most likely replacing them will fix the non-boot problem so I'd just go for it - You already know it's a problem so do the deed and see what goes.
I've seen caps that looked fine be a problem before, fixed an AN7 with just that going on last year. A simple recapping brought it back to life even though the caps on it looked to be OK so..... Just do it.

Maybe a complete recap of the board would do it good, they're all the same age you know with the same amount of runtime on them.

Should be fine, just remember to get a few spares to stash back for the future if needed.
Last year I bought a 200 count bag of 6.3v 3300uf caps and used those for recapping the three AN7's I fixed, even after all that there's no way I'm running out of those anytime soon.
Grabbed them for a song per cap compared to how much they go for normally.

I did notice they were a lot cheaper in bulk, even getting 10 drops it from $0.65 to $0.45. Unlike you Doc I don't have that many "OLD" boards at home. I am going to take advantage of the shipping and likely order a few other things while I'm at it. I have quite a few "pots" at home but my selection isn't the best so I may as well add to that.

Not suggesting you grab a bag like I did, just have a few extras if you'd ever need these again for well.... Anything that may use them.

Hope it works for you.

Bulk is the only way to go with parts. Its cheaper once you tear down cost vs shipping and factor a couple other exponents in.

Yeah those caps def should be replaced, just to be on the safe side. Caps you picked out should work. This higher tolerance DDR don't mind the extra impedance or ripple. However, just make sure to pull the cap through the board, so that you don't have large "leads". If you have any difficulties with soldering ping me.

Just figure I need something pretty hot for these to get the old ones out. I actually have a small iron to use with a torch if that would work better for removal

Just figure I need something pretty hot for these to get the old ones out. I actually have a small iron to use with a torch if that would work better for removal

This is what I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-2-1-8...925121?hash=item418a586d01:g:LdMAAOSwB4NWzS~w
Works great with the desoldering wand for cap removal.

I normally set mine for about 410F with a medium airflow to desolder and remove the caps. I even have a way to use the wand for soldering them back in too and it works most of the time no prob.
These stations are WELL WORTH the investment, once you get one and use it you'll see what I mean. However be sure to also pick up a spare soldering pen or two, my original one began to come apart over time because the plastic didn't hold up and I had to order a pair for that reason. Luckily these replacement pens are cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-Electri...130939&hash=item5b089c7a75:g:mMsAAOSwo6lWH22n

Back