• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dfi Noob some help plz were to start...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timboiboytoi

Registered
Ok well I just put together a new system ... I love to overclock but ive always used asus motherboards ( wow is it so much easier on those lol ) but not nearly as good. When I went into this bios I was in awe with all the options and such.... So im looking for some help maybe from someone with a similar setup for the best settings in the bios. I will include my complete detailed setup for you. ( im looking for the most overclocked settings while remaining stable ) Oh and since ive had my system up and running ive got some wierd things to happen... like 2 or 3 bsod some folders freezing up while trying to open them.. internet explorer closing on its own. I have no viruses or adware and have all my windows updates installed (sp2) thanks in advance
Tim

MB - DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultr NF4 939

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) (PC 3200) Dual Channel

Geforce 7800gt vid card

It sounds as if you may need to first make sure all your drivers are installed and also update your BIOS. You can find a download for the latest BIOS and a nice how-to on the DFI website.

heh thx and btw my cpu cooler is the T.T Big Typhoon

All drivers installed and good I do need to update bios tho any suggestions on the best version?

i just uped the htt till it wasnt stable. then went and lower the divider and saw how far that got me. then after i went look up the best memory settings for my ram and what others were useing and after finding my best settings i was able to push it a little more.

Did you memtest before installing windows? That should be the first thing that you do on the DFI boards. If your memory is not stable you could get a corrupt OS.

everything seems to be nice and stable now that I updated the bios. Now I just gotta figure out how to overclock ..

How the hell.. I dont get this what settings exactly are the fsb and the multiplier ... it was easy on the asus you just had the mhz and the multiplier to change and the vcore.. are they named something wierd on these boards or something?

isnt there a thread that explains what every setting does.. I think I saw one some where..

ok questions. What exactly is cpu thermal throttling? And also anyone know some good settings for the memory im running ? CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) (PC 3200) Dual Channel supposed to be 2-3-3-6 but its not ... and im not exactly sure which values to change to get it at that. And also I cant seem to get an overclock on the cpu past 300mhz. ( is the lack of memory settings holding me back there?) Thanks!

I am already hitting near 90,000 on the benchmarks in aquamark3 so Im pretty happy about that but I know it can get much higher!

you should test to see whats the max your memory can go, also relax the timing of it a bit more.

try these settings first
tcl:3
trcd: 04
tras: 08
trp: 03

and leave rest of the settings to default.

after you find out your max memory freq, then you can play around with the htt and use divider if you have to. also, make sure htt * htt divider doesnt go over 1000mhz as it mite cause system instability.

good luck. :D

Ok what is the htt I cant seem to find anythign that says htt in there? After playing around for awhile I got it overclocked to 2.75 stable (memory at 250mhz .. I think.) with the vcore at 1.5v. The idle temps are still around 28-30 with load around 35 max. So I know I can get it up higher but I cant figure it out...

Yeah I have it at 11x250 with memory at 180 any suggestions? Also what is the ftd thing .. lol im learning slowly but surely

I did get a 8400ish in 3dmark05 and a 91,000ish in aquamark3 with the settings im at now so im impressed by this system none the less!

How do you adjust the htt on this board I dont see anything in the bios with htt on it?? is it under a different name?

Back