• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI pentium M motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
how does this board compare to the aopen board for overclocking. if i am not mistaken, the oc features can be unlocked with a beta modded bios as the dfi board has NO oc features in itself. The aopen has a few choices.

You asking DFI vs Aopen. Dfi is the clear winner here. But I cannot understand why this board is so darn overpriced. In Japan this board is jumping of the shelves.
Thanks

Anyone ever order anything from bytewizecomputers?
How are they?
How long would an order take to get into Vancouver?

The O.C said:
Anyone ever order anything from bytewizecomputers?
How are they?
How long would an order take to get into Vancouver?
I think they should be fine. Look at their customer reviews. It shuold no more then 1 week to get in Canada, also depends on the shipping method used.First try to see if your local pc stores, can special order this board for you.
Thanks

elec999 said:
You asking DFI vs Aopen. Dfi is the clear winner here. But I cannot understand why this board is so darn overpriced. In Japan this board is jumping of the shelves.
Thanks

Not just this board, all the 855 boards are overpriced, I guess either chipset is expensive or most likely these are made in much smaller quantity than the other boards.

I have to say that I am very impressed with the performance of the Dothan CPUs. In my country it's at half the price of an FX-55, and judging by the review below, an overclocked Dothan is a match for any CPU. It would of course have been interesting to compare it to an overclocked FX-55, but I'm nonetheless very impressed with the benchmark results I've seen so far. Plus, in time we might see much better OC-potential on the Pentium-M-platform for desktops.

I do agree that the mobos are currently overpriced. The available chipset (have only heard of i855) isn't really great, although this mobo has an interesting southbridge solution.

The PCI-X slot doesn't fully compare to the ones found on server boards. It runs at 66 MHz, and is limited by the 266 MB/s transfer rate between the southbridge and the northbridge. However the PCI-X bus should be superior to the 32-bit PCI bus, if for example using a high-end SCSI-controller.

One thing I really dislike about this mobo is the fact that you are stuck with that tiny stock cooler (bundled with the mobo).

Can you imagine a Dothan with 800/1066 FSB and dual channel? The Dothan kinda reminds me of an AMD CPU. Dothans don't require high bandwidth in order to kick *** (unlike desktop P4). Like AMDs, Dothans are probably much better for gaming that Northwood/Prescott (because of the pipeline), despite the fact that you only get support for AGP 4x and single channel DDR333.

It's clear to me that the 12-stage pipeline is a good thing, all Intel CPUs should have been like that. Then there would have been two CPU manufacturers to choose between (ignoring the Dothan for a second). If they improve the chipset and bandwidth issues, this could turn out to be very interesting.

Detailed review of DFI 855GME-MGF here:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dfipm&page=1

Miguita said:
One thing I really dislike about this mobo is the fact that you are stuck with that tiny stock cooler (bundled with the mobo).

Yes that is a downside. Atleast the MB has holes, you know what Im thinking?

Water Block.

Back