• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did i kill my motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

So i bought this Corsair H110i cooler and i was trying to find a spot where i could put it at in the corsair 570x case. seeing how i would have to switch around alot of fans to get it on the front, i decided to find another way some other time and decided to put the whole thing back together.

as i was putting the noctua nh-d14 cooler back on, me being sleepy, i drooled near the drive connectors. I freaked out a bit and got a towel to clean it up. i made sure everything was dry and so i put the rest of the computer back together and turned it on. When i went to the bios, the computer suddenly froze so i held down the power button. no go. not responding. so i unplkug it from power and plug it back in.

still wont turn on. there are no lights or any signs of activity. I get a paper clip and pull out the atx connector and turn on the psu. everything comes on fans full blast. ok so the psu is fine. i plug it back in the board and just wait a bit then try again. still wont come on.

Is there anything else i can try doing to revive this board?

So... you drooled on the motherboard behind the sata connectors? Was the board powered on at the time? If not, i dont see where there would be a problem with the board because of your drool.

It was off while I was hooking everything back up. After I wiped away the saliva and tried turning it on, it worked for a short while and then froze. When I shut it off by removing power plug and then tried turning it back on, it will not turn on no matter what I do. I just left it unplugged all night and when I try to then it back on it still won't turn on.

I think I'm gonna need to get me another z77 board or something.

It was off while I was hooking everything back up. After I wiped away the saliva and tried turning it on, it worked for a short while and then froze. When I shut it off by removing power plug and then tried turning it back on, it will not turn on no matter what I do. I just left it unplugged all night and when I try to then it back on it still won't turn on.

I think I'm gonna need to get me another z77 board or something.

It's possible that static electricity from the towel ended up killing it...dunno how "likely", but it is possible

Do you have a multimeter or voltage meter to check the PSU? I'd test that before buying a new board.

Since you had the Noctua off it's possible that you may have a short behind the baoard as well. Personally I would pull it all out of the case and build it with the minimums on a table/box whatever non conductive area you have

Yeah, I highly doubt the drool (LOL), while it was off, and dried off while off, killed it.

Back to the basics.....

Drool? Saliva? On a mobo? Eeewwwww! Gives a whole new meaning to hardware pr0n! :rofl:

Yeah all jokes aside, go back to the basics but, next time keep a paper towel handy ;)

Do you have a multimeter or voltage meter to check the PSU? I'd test that before buying a new board.

will check voltages. although, when i got home, i flipped the power on the back (i left it off to let the computer drain whatever power was left) and then tried turning on and the computer came right back on. even the power and reset led buttons on the board are on. Do you know what normal readings i should be seeing?

Since you had the Noctua off it's possible that you may have a short behind the baoard as well. Personally I would pull it all out of the case and build it with the minimums on a table/box whatever non conductive area you have

will be throwing it on the test bed to check it out. maybe i could also try using the corsair h110i to bench it too if it ends up working fine.

Yeah, I highly doubt the drool (LOL), while it was off, and dried off while off, killed it.

Back to the basics.....

Well i assumed that since its liquid with maybe some water that its probably conductive.

Drool? Saliva? On a mobo? Eeewwwww! Gives a whole new meaning to hardware pr0n! :rofl:

Yeah all jokes aside, go back to the basics but, next time keep a paper towel handy ;)

i did have a paper towel ROLL next to me. and i used it right when it happened.

You weren't chewing snoose at the time were you?

I am too cool for drugs. D.A.R.E reasons.

I got it on the bench right now running linux. Something i noticed is that it will not shutdown. Same thing happens if i try with windows.

I reflashed the bios but (which also resets everything) and it still will not shutdown. Even with the overclock already removed after re-flashing bios it still will not stay off. keeps turning back on its own.

Also, during the time i was testing it on the bench, it has frozen at the following codes

0x32 CPU INIT
0xA2 IDE DETECT
0xA6 SCSI DETECT

so what else can we do to get this board to stay off when i want it to stay off?

im gonna leave it on the test bed with cmos jumper in the reset position. i also removed the cmos battery and left the board completely disconnected from power.

will post back to see if it worked or not...

And if this does not work, is it really worth getting another z77 motherboard? i dont want to be that guy posting about z77 over and over to the point where i am told "stop posting about old tech"

Well if you can snag a Z77 on the cheapo, then it's worth it to keep your system alive so long as it does what you need it to do. However if you think spending the cash on an old platform is bit much, then I would look at an upgrade.
You can still snag a Z97 and a 4690/4790k combo for a really decent price.

Up to you if you think saving your rig is worth it.

Well when you put it that way then i may as well do this work around while i do my homework on that computer upgrade involving new computer parts.

1. initiate shutdown from OS
2. once system powers off flip off power supply switch.
3. when needed, flip on power supply switch and press power button.
4. repeat from step 1 when done using computer.

While i respect your idea i want to say that i would rather buy something thats modern this year to the next. I remember when i was a little kid i used to buy old computer parts all the time. If i had chose to save, i probably have an x58 or p67 desktop for gaming. And i remember after i had built a z77 computer, i had promised myself that i would always build my next computer with the newest parts that were out. So right now there is intels kaby, coffe, canon, whatever lake series processors and there is AMDs ryzen processors. I am not going to take a small step forward and just buy whatever used parts i find like the z97 (even though newegg is still selling a small number of them).

-SO-

If there is no other way to fix the z77 board that i drooled on from yawning, then i will use the work around instead and begin putting more effort into buying new computer parts that are out as of 2017 that still have a 1-3 year warranty. Because buying used with just a 3 month to 1 year warranty is not how i am going to roll anymore unless i have a pot of gold laying around.

i mean basically, i feel like im wasting money buying even slightly older computer parts, you know?

I totally understand. Most, if not all, my pc parts were used/old tech every time I upgraded. Since I live on a budget I couldn't afford any new/modern parts. I was pretty much 2 generations behind. I saved my pennies and made the jump from X58 to Z97. I saved more pennies and made another jump from Z97 to my current Z270 along with the 1070.

Some ppl that have Z77/Z97 setups are still happy that they still run games and there's no need to upgrade just yet. They're squeezing all they can out of those platforms. I figured since you're going out of your way to save your board, you were one of those ppl ;)

As I stated before; if your Z77 setup still handles what you toss at it, then maybe you can pick up another Z77 board to hold you over till the next gen for an upgrade. If you can swing a new total upgrade (board, chip, ram), then by all means go for it. If you have a MC near you, you know they always have great combos for a decent price. Could always check :thup:

A z97 with a 4770k/4790k has still a few years to live. WIth a de-lid and a good cooler you can run them in the 4.7(unlucky)/5(lucky)GHz range, and it way enough to run a 1080ti at its full potential.

The 5820k in sig, running between 4.7 and 4.8GHz, depending on cooling and ambient is still very up to date gaming (and benching :p),wise.

16Gigs of RAM and a SSD and you're good for 1080p to 4K gaming (depending on GPU of course).

Only reason I will upgrade when next gen is aound is to make some more boints on the bot with old GPU's on old benchies (3dmark 2001 to 2011/Vantage and Heaven).

The Haswells are great chips. BTW, Shrimbprime sells a 4690k/Qsrock Z97OC formula/16GB of ram in the classies. Worth a look... You could still swap the CPU for a 4770k/4790K and be good for a couple of years.

pull everything out of the mb. take some 91% rubbing alcohol to the area that you drooled on(feels silly typing that lol). pour it all over the pcb and sata port that got wet. if you see dirt etc coming off of the mb continue to pour alcohol on it until it comes off clean. dry it of with paper towel as well as you can. take canned air and blow out all of your ports. stand it up so that the sata ports can air dry for 24hrs. slap it back together and see if it will boot and shutdown properly. if not you know for certain its borked. for future reference you should never try to boot a system that got wet until you rinse the effected area with alcohol. usually once you power up a wet component its gone for good. you may get lucky with this one being that it will at least boot. GL

Back