• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did i kill my motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i have 91% isopropyl alcohol. would that be good enough? i use it for thermal paste and other things but i read somewhere that using 99 percent is what would be best.

i have 91% isopropyl alcohol. would that be good enough? i use it for thermal paste and other things but i read somewhere that using 99 percent is what would be best.

Yep, that's what Maxfly suggested, it's the same product by a different name. Good luck!

Yep, that's what Maxfly suggested, it's the same product by a different name. Good luck!

I completely misread that and i am sorry for misreading it.

-anyway-

pull everything out of the mb. take some 91% rubbing alcohol to the area that you drooled on(feels silly typing that lol). pour it all over the pcb and sata port that got wet. if you see dirt etc coming off of the mb continue to pour alcohol on it until it comes off clean. dry it of with paper towel as well as you can. take canned air and blow out all of your ports. stand it up so that the sata ports can air dry for 24hrs. slap it back together and see if it will boot and shutdown properly. if not you know for certain its borked. for future reference you should never try to boot a system that got wet until you rinse the effected area with alcohol. usually once you power up a wet component its gone for good. you may get lucky with this one being that it will at least boot. GL

I took out my board and went outside with it along with some alcohol. wet the entire board with that 91% alcohol and took it inside to dry with the canned air. let it rest on the test bench for a bit and then took more canned air to it. blew the cpu socket, ram slots, I/O slots, Sata ports, pcie, everything. I cleaned this board religiously like from old testament times. As i was blasting canned air on this board, i noticed that there was this metal thing on this transistor (only it had two legs instead of three) near the sata ports that had gotten blown off. i assumed that maybe some how that was the problem. I dont know where it came from exactly but i am gonna guess it could have been my hair since i do drill into metal things sometimes like metal plating or satellite masts to mount a splitter, multi switch, hybrid solo hubs, etc.

AFTER ALL THAT WAS DONE i hooked it up on the test bed and had it boot into linux and then shutdown with SUCCESS! Put the board back in my case (with duct tape on my mouth) and everything worked as it should including startup and shutdown from windows.

Thanks to you, i wont be needing that upgrade after all! I will remember to do this again if i ever come across a board acting weird or if i spilled liquids on it. again, Thanks!

Back