• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different views

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rangi

I'm currently running a RAID0 stripe set at 32bit would there be any advantage going to 16bit in my next array? My friends and I have differing views on if there is any advantage at all. Today I'm picking up 2xWD2500KS caviar 16mb cache HDD's, I would like to RAID0 this pair has anybody got any opinions on this?

In reference to speed, there isn't a lot to be gained.

However the larger the stripe size, the lower the overhead relative to data (larger chunks of data, fewer chunks of meta-data). The metadata is information about the structure of the drive, not actual user/program data on the disk. Visually, heres an example:

Small stripe size (dashes are data, asterisks are metadata):

---*---*---*---

Large stripe size:
-------*-------

Now, you need to look at the size of the files on the drive. If you have a lot of small files, (files smaller than the stripe size) you are going to have a lot of slack space - space within a stripe that isn't utilized and goes to waste. However, if you've got a lot of large files, your going to come out ahead.

Back