• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY computers becomeing obsolete?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

It seems like everyday that I see a circuit city or HP or Best buy or dell ad for a couputer for $450 or $500. I mean, come on, a cheap AMD system is about that DIY. Maybe if you get some refurb items you can get it cheaper but that's sketchy. And true we can overclock it for more bang for your buck, but what computer illiterate person is going to know what to do the the Ess-hits the fan?

Yeah, I know that thoes cheap, pre-built systems are crap. Nvidia 5200 vid card. P4 2.4-2.8 w/o hyper-threading, no more that 256MB RAM. But for music/internet/word processing does it really matter? Every time I offer to build a computer for a friend they say "Aw it's ok I'm getting it from X and they're giveing my a great price. A price that I usually only match. Now sure as far as high end systems go, you can save from 1-2K with a DIY computer, and still get much more.

But as far a bargin basement systems go. I'm afraid DIY is out.

Just my opinion.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

For example. Say I'm a race car driver. Not only that, but I have the ability and resources with which to build my own car. I'm not going to bother building a 4 door sedan with air conditioning and an automatic transmission. I can get one in perfect condition from any dealer.

No, I'm going to build a custom hot-rod. That means, I need to research the parts, make sure they work together, and then assemble them using only the best tools and techniques available.

These friends, they aren't race car drivers. They're just looking for something to get them to work and to the store.

The rest of us, we are the race car drivers...well, when the wallet and wives allow. :D We may have a 4 door sedan, but next to it in the garage is our custom hot-rod. :)

I think cost is only a very small part of the reason I prefer to built and maintain my own PCs. I built my first PC because I wanted to learn about how computers worked, and beleive me I learned a heck of a lot.

Also I can choose the exact setup I want, upgrade and customise it as and when I want, and also not many places sell dual MP rigs that I could afford ;)

Back