• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do DVD-RW drives only burn to certain disc types?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xlafalotx

Registered
Do DVD+RW drives only burn to certain disc types?

I have a Philips DVD+RW drive and it doesnt seem to like to write to CD-RW discs. Is there a reason for this? Are there specific types it will write to and not write to? Will it write to DVD+RW discs?

EDIT: It's Philips DVD+RW. Not -.

Last edited:
I would need a model before I can tell you if it can burn to that media. Some burners are picky on what brand of discs it will burn well. It could also be the CD-RW is also scratched or dirty and the DVD-Burner has problems reading it.

if you bought the DVD+RW at a retail store, check the box. If it came with installed with the computer, you may need to pull it out to check underneath.

I have an old dell at work that only works with DVD+RW (not DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW). But it does write to CD-RW.

You may also want to use NeroInfo tool which will tell you what types of media your drive is capable of.
http://www.nero.com/en/Info_Tool.html

Thanks guys. I used the info tool and it can write to CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW. Is there a reason the info I write to a CD-RW disc has trouble being read by other drives?

Probably bad media, or a brand that the burner does not like. I would try a different brand of meda and burn it at 4x or 2x... even if it is painfully slow...

I would try flashing to the newest firmware (be careful) and trying it with a different brand of CD-RW.

Back