• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need to change radiator ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

navinnaido36

So i need some opinions. I planning to change the radiator from aqua computer airplex radical to hardware labs but just aint sure whether is necessary. I have seen benchmarks and stuff i know hardware labs radiator are great but still haven't made up my mind.

My thoughts were changing the bottom radiator to 2x480gts(gpu) and top 480 sr2 (cpu). Current using 3x airplex radical 480 rads.

My gpu temp its ok 15 min furmark is sits around 46 degree but cpu 6850k clocked at 4.3 ghz hits 85 degree to 90 degree in cpu stress test. It even hits 90 degree and spike to 100 when run on prime 95 small ftt which some people say that its too hot i should clock down the frequency but when i use this as daily driver all my games run smoothly no crash on my pc. Since this kind of stress test is more of a worse case scenario but siting at 90 degree for most stress test pass 10 min is obviously doesn't fell right.

I rebuilding the loop in my pc too.

front 1.jpg

I'm going to take a stab in the dark that you have two separate loops there? The dust inside your PC tells me that the case and water loops are from another build, if this is the case you probably have some blockage on the CPU loop. Take the CPU loop apart and check the CPU block for blockage, clean and reassemble, enjoy cooler temps. Could also just be TIM application, too much not enough. Get flow meter so you can monitor flow of your loops, this way if there is a blockage down the line you know it and can resolve it before you have bigger issues.

Now on the other hand, if this is some crazy system where your loop goes pump#1 > rad > GPU in parallel > rad > CPU > pump#2 > rad >repeat (or some variation of this) this would indicate bad TIM application, either way your taking the CPU block off.

Of course it could also mean you just got a 6850K that doesn't like to be overclocked at all. In that event I'm not sure what to tell you. I know from the AMD side of things I change some voltages I can make a seemingly mild overclock overheat, not sure how Intel works, never OC'd one.

Those aquacomputer rads should be more than sufficient for your cooling needs, I wouldn't upgrade personally, that's a lot of rad for not not much heat, I have 3 r9-290x's and an OC'd 8320 on just two 480 rads single loop though. One 480 might not be enough to cool my 3 gpu's but combined it's plenty.

Yep, the issues probably a slight blockage to your CPU loop, and once you take it apart and clean the tightly spaced cooling fins in the block you will see much better temps. Lets us know how it turned out. and MORE PICS PLEASE!!! :clap:

On a side note, is that stainless tubing you used? Looks nice, the nice straight lines of solid tubing to me is much more appealing than flexible tubing, but that's all personal preference. :D

Yap will update here once i start the cleaning.
Right now have ordered parts from ekwb and barrow and waiting for them.
ekwb.png
gold.jpg
silver.jpg
These are pics of my pc upload here
top psu.jpg
side res.jpg
side 1.jpg
mobo side.jpg
front 1.jpg
fan ontroller.jpg
back.jpg
back ssd.jpg
These are the new fans that i will upgarding. 17 fans in total.
IMG-20161206-WA0001.jpg
wings package.jpg
wings front.jpg
wings back.jpg
silent wings inside.jpg
Silver for cpu loop and gold for gpu loop with liquid to match it
coolent.jpg

Actually planned to bend the stainless steel tube with bending kit for metal end up didnt work. Bending more then 45 degree cause the steel to kink. So thats why the 45 degree is the only bend in the loop. Initially plan to powder coat the tubes but local fellow had their matte black coat out of stock so i give up on the plan. I hate flexible tube no matter how to small its used in the build it will stain due to time and worse if used with any coolent like mayhem. So my pc i i just avoid using flexible tubing not even a bit. I just use different rotatory to connect the hard to reach areas.

I think someone here used copper tubing and painted it, or I saw it in another build, it looked sweet. I don't recall if there were any bends in it though. That is one massive case, next PC i build will be in a case labs, if I ever save enough money, lol.

Just out of curiosity, what's the fan by the lower GPU for?

I'm going to take a stab in the dark that you have two separate loops there? The dust inside your PC tells me that the case and water loops are from another build, if this is the case you probably have some blockage on the CPU loop. Take the CPU loop apart and check the CPU block for blockage, clean and reassemble, enjoy cooler temps. Could also just be TIM application, too much not enough. Get flow meter so you can monitor flow of your loops, this way if there is a blockage down the line you know it and can resolve it before you have bigger issues.

Now on the other hand, if this is some crazy system where your loop goes pump#1 > rad > GPU in parallel > rad > CPU > pump#2 > rad >repeat (or some variation of this) this would indicate bad TIM application, either way your taking the CPU block off.

Of course it could also mean you just got a 6850K that doesn't like to be overclocked at all. In that event I'm not sure what to tell you. I know from the AMD side of things I change some voltages I can make a seemingly mild overclock overheat, not sure how Intel works, never OC'd one.

Those aquacomputer rads should be more than sufficient for your cooling needs, I wouldn't upgrade personally, that's a lot of rad for not not much heat, I have 3 r9-290x's and an OC'd 8320 on just two 480 rads single loop though. One 480 might not be enough to cool my 3 gpu's but combined it's plenty.

Definitely looks like it could be lack of TIM. And it could be a bad IHS... Intel seems to slack on IHSes since Ivy Bridge... (Based on my web-fu)

If its the ihs then im screwed. Im not comfortable In delidding my processor but can my 6850k be delidded if necessary. Cause im not sure wt cpu but some of them are soldered.

If its the ihs then im screwed. Im not comfortable In delidding my processor but can my 6850k be delidded if necessary. Cause im not sure wt cpu but some of them are soldered.

I wouldn't be comfortable either, if I only owned 1 chip for that socket! And that would be for an IHS that don't have solder. It seems Intel, especially since Ivy Bridge, likes using paste instead for many of their processors...

And a bad IHS can mean a warped IHS...

Gpu block arrived with backplate
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Cpu block, hope the indigo extreme will help out. Again really hope its not a bad ihs.
12.jpg
11.jpg
10.jpg

Rads arrived. Sadly the normal 480gts only was available in white. I has no choice but to get it. Basiclly the white 480gts and 480gts crossflow is for the radiator and the 480 gtr is for the cpu.
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
18.jpg
17.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
14.jpg
13.jpg
22.jpg

Forget to mention the previous pic has some mayhem dye. Mayhem silver and gold booster with green and yellow dye. Basically the green and yellow dye is just to increase the gold contrast. See how it works out later when i test. The assorted fittings and stopper in the previous pic is used to summon this
24.jpg
23.jpg
Waiting for others parts. Shipment arrived my country waiting local courier to deliver all the items to my doorstep. This sneak peak when it was at the china hub.
25.jpg

Hey,

In your first set of pictures, I see the bottle says 'Aurora 2'. Note that, Aurora is a show fluid additive, and should NOT be used long term, it can and will cause massive gunk to build up as the pearls drop to the bottom of the blocks etc.

I used a pink Aurora in my Mrs loop for a few weeks and it took me hours to clean it out, can't imagine using one for longer.

Just an idea.

Back