• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do these temps sound right? (TRUE 120)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

I've had the TRUE 120 for quite a while now, used it on my E6420 mostly, however, I am now using it on my 2500K. The 2500K is Oc'd to 4.7Ghz @ 1.345V. The highest Idle temp I'm getting( core 1 and 2) is 44C, core 0 and 4 are going about 10C less. At full load(coredamage) the setup tops out at 75c on core 1 and 2 and 66c on core 0 and 4. To me, this seems a bit high for the TRUE and I'm wondering if something might have gone wrong mounting(remounted 4x now already).

I use the asrocks own mounting solution to mount LGA 775 coolers to 1366 sockets, but for some reason it bolts on too tight( on my previous LGA 775 board I had to put a dime between the mount and HSF so that it was bolted on tight, however, I cannot fit anything between it now? )

Anyone else run the TRUE 120 with a 2500K? what are your temps?

The mount adapter sounds slightly fishy to me. You might want to get the actual 1156 Thermalright mount. It's also an improvement over the original TRUE mount, it's what first shipped with the VenX, works on most TR coolers.

Yeah, I don't think you can draw any conclusions until you get it properly mounted. Good pressure between the heatsink base and the CPU face is essential, especially with the large, heavy tower coolers that tend to pull away from the CPU face on the top edge of contact because of gravity. By the way is this the "Ultra" 120 Extreme or the standard?

The mount adapter sounds slightly fishy to me. You might want to get the actual 1156 Thermalright mount. It's also an improvement over the original TRUE mount, it's what first shipped with the VenX, works on most TR coolers.

It's actually not an adapter, but they have made holes in the mobo with a slight offset for the socket 775 coolers

27234_44ee9e9277_12.JPG

It has more tension when mounted compared to my LGA 775 board, so the bracket is actually pushing harder on the HSF :confused:

@trents

its the Ultra Extreme used in conjuction with a Enermax UC-12AEBS running at ~1650 rpms. Just cleaned out the heatsink from dust as well so blockage shouldn't be an issue either.

Is it still using the original "X" style mount? If so, do yourself a favor and upgrade to the LGA1156 Rev B mount (if you can find one) or the Venomous X mount. Both are much better than the original style "X" bracket mount the TRUE was originally packaged with.

I know you aren't in the UK, but scan.co.uk has the LGA1156 mount I am talking about right here. That is a much better mount and I actually rather it over the Ven-X mounting system. It's strong enough to hold a copper TRUE securely in a system.

As stated above, the bracket is the most important consideration in the mount for both stability and fit. One additional thing to consider is tensioning in this regard. The mounting screws are small diameter and the join measured in inch pounds. And the thermal paste can be considered a gasket for join purposes. Most joins involving gasketing typically have a set value depending on the gasketing material, in this case they would be minimal. But nevertheless, think in terms of tightening the screws of the mount in cross fashion 1/4 turn past "thumb tight", then back them off 1/2 turn, then re-tighten. There are charts for this if you really want to get serious with a torque wrench but not necessary here. This method should allow for any issues involving pasting to smooth out.

Is it still using the original "X" style mount? If so, do yourself a favor and upgrade to the LGA1156 Rev B mount (if you can find one) or the Venomous X mount. Both are much better than the original style "X" bracket mount the TRUE was originally packaged with.

I know you aren't in the UK, but scan.co.uk has the LGA1156 mount I am talking about right here. That is a much better mount and I actually rather it over the Ven-X mounting system. It's strong enough to hold a copper TRUE securely in a system.

I still use the old x-style bracket.

So to be clear, I need this one?

http://www.mnm-computers.nl/compone...t=textlink&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=tweakers

It all depends what your ambient room temp is - in winter my 920 is 25C idle and 55C load whereas in summer it is 45C idle and 85C load: it's all relative to the ambient room temp.

Taking the temps as they are, I see nothing wrong at all; 75C max for a 4.7GHz air-cooled quad is very respectable, even if your room temp is low (which I doubt).

75C at 4.7GHz is very well done, especially on an older cooler like the TRUE. You have done well. I'm not sure if you have the proper mount, so if you don't, I would recommend getting the LGA1155/1156 mount from Thermalright.

Other than that, those temps are excellent. :)

I still use the old x-style bracket.

So to be clear, I need this one?

http://www.mnm-computers.nl/compone...t=textlink&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=tweakers

Yes, that is the mounting bracket you need. I am using that very mounting bracket with my copper TRUE and with it mounted on a [email protected], my Rosetta temps average in the high 50's except for the 1 hot core that proc has, which goes in the low 60's. I am running a couple of S-Flex SFF21F fans in push pull on the copper TRUE in an older Cooler Master case on a Biostar P67 board.

Back