• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this sound like a heat issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cbas

I'm having some issues with the computer I built and I think it has to do with overheating, but I'm wondering what others think.

every now and then, but especially when I initiate a heavy task, my audio, display, and input all stutter for a less than a second, usually multiple times in a row.

This same stuttering problem happened about a year ago and it quickly got worse and I got a blue screen telling me the processor was overheating. I re-applied the thermal paste and reset my heatsink and the problem was gone.

I tried this same solution last weekend and the problem disappeared for a week but now has come back. I downloaded SpeedFan and it tells me that my CPU is around 84C average. I'm not sure if I believe it though because my BIOS CPU temp reading only goes up to about 62C. SpeedFan also tells me that none of my fans are spinning but they all definitely are.

62C seems pretty hot for my specs anyway though - do you think I need a new heatsink? Or is this problem more likely a driver/software issue?

Here are my specs, everything is about 3 years old now except the PSU which I just replaced a few months ago.

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67LE B3 Revision
Processor: Intel i5 25000K processor
Heat Sink: Cooler Master V8 180W
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX570
Power Supply: XFX Pro850W
Hard Drives: 2 Seagate 7200RPM Barracuda drives
RAM: 2 4GB Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D

Thanks!

First ditch speed fan it's garbage to me. Grab realtemp, coretemp, or hwmonitor if you want TMI for.this purpose.

Lrlets see what those say, but yeah 62c idle in the bios is way too hot for for that cpu and cooler.

What are your room temps? How is your case airflow as infan setup?

Environment is pretty hot and humid - around 27C each day. Internal airflow should be fine - all my fans are running on high. External Air flow kind of sucks, but I've experimented with pointing a fan directly at the computer and it doesn't make a difference. I'll check out the other temp monitors and post back.

Since you have re applied the TIM can I assume that the inside of the case is clean and dust free?

Yeah, usually auto can give you high voltage but he's been running the rig for a while now.

It would seem if its either bad contact/bubbles or not getting as much air flow as it did in the past. Keep an eye on those temps. You could have been running it hot for a while till it got unbearable.

You do have a decent cooler and a good case. Make sure nothing is obscuring the air flow and as already asked how is your airflow in the case configured and make sure if you clean out your case and filters if you have any.

First ditch speed fan it's garbage to me. Grab realtemp, coretemp, or hwmonitor if you want TMI for.this purpose.

I got realtemp and it reads around 43-45C normally for all cores, but hits a max of 57C. My bios reading is staying around 56C.

Since you have re applied the TIM can I assume that the inside of the case is clean and dust free?

Yes - I wiped everything down and sprayed it with cleaner

At this moment.. I am thinking not a proper mount of something.

That was my first guess since it was definitely the problem the first time. I was very careful to tighten everything when rebuilding this time though - do you think it is worth resetting the CPU a second time to see if its better?

What's you core voltage set to and what is LLC set to?

Core Voltage is at 1.216V
LLC is on auto - should I turn it off?

Last edited:
Best bet download Hwmonitor and Prime 95, open Hwmonitor and run prime blend for 20 minutes. Make sure the temps stay below 80-85 c on the package and then post a screen shot of hwmonitor here, maybe we will see something.

Back