• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does tubing brand matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i dunno why but since i used tygon, i personally will stick with them. since they have been in the tubing industry for a long time and supply alot of stuff for medical and food. thinking of which when i was at work the coke guys had some scraps they were going to throw away, they let me keep it. one piece is reinforced tubing and some kind of clear, not sure what size, need to google the model listed on the tubing. kinda want to use it but that means buying more WCing stuff and im stuck on using this old air cooler or finally using my Enzotech Sapphire WB and the z-bracket to mount it on the lga1366 boards.

back in the day, i wanted blue for my cooling loop. instead of dye, i used the VW anti-freeze that was blue, for older cars. that p4 rig with the wcing setup sat for about 4-5yrs unused and the tygon tubing was just hazy not tinted blue. i dont know if that speaks to the tubing or that anti freeze doesnt stain vs dye's.

Did you check Dazmode?

Dyes again? I swore you swore by never using dyes again. I guess second time's a charm. ;) :p
I did. But he only had white tubing! :(
I love dazmode but the selection is a bit small right now. Still, its my preferred shop since shipping is dirt cheap being located in the GTA :thup:

As for the dye, i am dyeing the tubing, bot the water itself ;)
I will NEVER put due in my water ever again. That feser dye is nasty!!
i dunno why but since i used tygon, i personally will stick with them. since they have been in the tubing industry for a long time and supply alot of stuff for medical and food. thinking of which when i was at work the coke guys had some scraps they were going to throw away, they let me keep it. one piece is reinforced tubing and some kind of clear, not sure what size, need to google the model listed on the tubing. kinda want to use it but that means buying more WCing stuff and im stuck on using this old air cooler or finally using my Enzotech Sapphire WB and the z-bracket to mount it on the lga1366 boards.

back in the day, i wanted blue for my cooling loop. instead of dye, i used the VW anti-freeze that was blue, for older cars. that p4 rig with the wcing setup sat for about 4-5yrs unused and the tygon tubing was just hazy not tinted blue. i dont know if that speaks to the tubing or that anti freeze doesnt stain vs dye's.
Antifreeze eh? I am considering adding a small amount to the loop this tine to prevent corrosion.

I have nickel in the loop this time and all i can thunk about is the EK nickel blocks and how bad they flaked....

I was hopeing to have tygon as the 2nd choice incase i couldn't get Primochill, but even tygon is expensive. Upwards of $40CAD just for the tubing!! :(

Nickel and copper play well together. Aluminum and copper do not. Still, it doesn't hurt to have a little glycol in there. In the winter I run a 50% mix since my rad sits outside for a good amount of time. I just leave it like that until spring, do a good flush and rinse, and back to just distilled and silver coil.

One thing I remember about nickel other then the flaking issues they once had but still might arise here and there is the EK rep. had said that they don't recommend Distilled and Kill coil or any silver for that matter because it doesn't play well with their nickel. I have been using Swiftech CPU and GPU blocks for about 5+ years now with no issues since they don't use nickel and are obviously copper based with acetal. I really have had no issues with copper and acetal. I don't think I'll ever change from that since they sit really well with my bitspower silver fittings and BlackIce rads. Overall happy with the outcome with the exception of oxidization on the CPU block that shows up after a while. :D

One thing I remember about nickel other then the flaking issues they once had but still might arise here and there is the EK rep. had said that they don't recommend Distilled and Kill coil or any silver for that matter because it doesn't play well with their nickel.

Really, I've never heard that one. You know way more than I do on this subject for sure.

I just went to the EKWB site to see what it says there.

Refrain from using strips of Silver (Ag), also known as "Kill Coil" with distilled water alone in your water cooling loop. Besides introducing another metal in the already mixed-metal loop with no corrosion protection, the concentration of Silver ions may not be enough to prevent or to suppress biological growth in the liquid cooling loop.
Refrain from using Copper (II) Sulphate (CuSO4) additive - common trade name "Nuke Cu" or "Biocide Cu" - due to it's nature to react with metals usually found in liquid cooling loop, especially radiators (Zn, Cu, Sn) as well as Aluminum (Al) thus promoting corrosion. Using CuSO4 also accellerates visually discouraging copper tarnishing phenomena.

From what I'm reading here they are saying adding silver to a mixed metal loop is bad and not to add Copper Sulphate. If I'm not mixed metal than I don't see any issue with the silver.

Am I reading this right?

Well technically, we all are mixed metal or at least most of us are. We just aren't adding aluminum to the mix because it acts as a steroid to corrosion. Remember, we're always in the process of corrosion with our loops, it will just take MANY years if not decades for that to happen because its happening at a very slow rate. With aluminum as we all already know it, is like throwing gasoline to a small fire. As long as we clean and flush our loops, I think they'll last for a long time in the end.

Hmmm.... I have the nickel tube that came with the Bitspower res (to stop the sound of water when the water enters the res) and one nickel plated valve that I have installed as the drain valve...

My concern is the anti freeze i add like prestone, would react and crack the acrylic reservoir... Any one have any ideas on that?

My plumber neighbour has glycol used in the geothermal business. Mayne I should just add that instead? Surely any glycol would act ad a corrosion inhibitor no?

My concern is the anti freeze i add like prestone, would react and crack the acrylic reservoir... Any one have any ideas on that?

Glycol is safe with acrylics - always has been.

....and its not as if we use it at 100% concentration either - more like 5 to 10%.

I have done testing myself where I have submerged acrylic tubing in Glycol concentrate for over a year and could not see any ill effects.

My latest build is using a Glycol automotive coolant - Actual Glycol content is around 8% for this particular coolant.

A lot of people don't realise that some of the PC specific coolants also contain Glycol in their mix and have been doing so for many years.

Attachments

• compressed_SMA8 Build Coolant Fill_d.JPG
    compressed_SMA8 Build Coolant Fill_d.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 77
EK's coolant has glycol. The mix I run in the winter is a 50/50 mix straight from the jug.

That solves that concern then! Thanks guys!!
Tubing has shipped as well! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow :)

Back