• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Windows rot over time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What causes Windows to die over time?

• Total voters
does windows rot over time

r3w4 said:
I haven't been following the conversation, but Windows does not "rot." That's a poor excuse for a user who doesn't know or understand enough to keep Windows working well.
Have been using winxp for 5 years now and never had a moments trouble with this system, At least none that cannot be sorted out with general common sense. As said before you have to keep your house (pc) in order with fairly simple housekeeping. I find Norton simply overbearing and non tolerant of any other software that dares to help out on the virus front. I use simple tools such as AVG free for virus and a free Zone Alarm as a firewall.
I am waiting for a new pc build, but the pc I am presently on is an older HP 1.3GHZ PROCESSOR WITH 256 RAM CONNECTED TO ntlworld.com 10mb broadband on xp Sp2. Speed tests of 8,800kbps are common and xp updates download at least 1.2mb per sec. I choose what xp updates to download and never had any problems.
My conclusion is that ms xp is certainly not the worst of the os out there unless you abuse it.
cheers
texasboy

People just don't know how to take care of their system. Most people just install useless programs, don't defrag, don't use file cleaner utilities, don't manage their run entries, etc.. Of course you have to be a knowledgable computer user to be able to do these things. For the average joe schmoe (however you spell it), these slow downs will be inevitable. For the person who knows how to keep his windows running fast, he'll definitely be able to do so.

Ive had xp pro for 3 years no prob and just recently began having problems and I defrag, scandsk, and cleaners. If it aint broke dont fix it. I do think that windows reg does get cluttered when in/uninstalling programs if you dont clean it up from time to time.

In answer to the main question "Does Windows Rot Over Time"? It must be an emphatic No! It was there in the first place, but just needs a cool dark place to fester.

Not really it will definitely slow down because of 3rd party programs infesting the registry but if you know your way around to fix issues (i.e. if you're experiencing long startup times, check the logs and see what is going on). You'll find more often then not after a reinstall that its only about a month and its slowed back down to its origonal state, tends to coincide with the time you finish reinstalling all your old stuff :)

I spose but most of the time slow startup is actually due to the system looking for something that does not exist or tryhing to start a service that wont start which takes extra time.

roYal said:
People just don't know how to take care of their system. Most people just install useless programs, don't defrag, don't use file cleaner utilities, don't manage their run entries, etc.. Of course you have to be a knowledgable computer user to be able to do these things. For the average joe schmoe (however you spell it), these slow downs will be inevitable. For the person who knows how to keep his windows running fast, he'll definitely be able to do so.

Agree 100%. I still only have 35 processes running idle. That could be lower, but I don't have much need. I have 1GB and never experience any slowness.

I think the word "rot" is a poor choice. Perhaps "congeal" would be better. Yes, as programs/spyware/adware/etc go in and out of a system, there gets to be little chunks and bits left strewn around. Some "tweaks" that some of us do to the registry may actually contribute. I guess this falls under simple logic....when you first installed there was no problem, as you and software made changes a problem evolved.

Well... I've yet to actually re-install a Windows OS from killing itself... unless it got ganked by a powerful virus. I have "Repaired" A M$ OS every couple years though, thanks to third party software... nvidia bombed my registry several times and ATi corrupted a system file too many.

98se, 2000, XP Pro, XP x64, Vista... so far... holding on.

I'm actually surprised of how long 2000 has lasted, I installed it about a year after it came out on my dad's computer and he has given it 2 trojans, 1 worm, and 1 old-type virus and it still works, I only had to use the "Repair" thing once.

It's been over 4 years since I got a virus... but I can rely on my parents.

Linux seems to die on me every few years, usually from a total crapping of the core files.

Last edited:
I say winders is poorly designed. on my old rig, I had the same problem, every ~3 months, winders would magically "disappear" off my hdd or become corrupted, and i would have to reinstall it. I ran multiple winders and 3rd party scandisks and no problems on the hdd. (free food kicks a$$)

just gets molasses-ed up

just reformatted after a couple of yrs,. yes it tends to slow down, but it's my own fault. you can actually see this process. winxp will run great on a new install on almost any machine, start putting 3rd party software on it that loads at startup and you'll see it slow down rather quickly. i've learned there's a balance to be maintained here.

Europa said:
well yeah

look at my PF on my HDD for windows here that is what happens over time for me(1 month(superrot)) & a reinstall is the only way to fix

read my post in that thread. reinstall is not yr only option. btw, fragmentation is not the principal reason for the gradual slowing down of a windows install. as i said before, it's the programs running in memory, the extra services and fonts added that slow boottime... etc.

I think there is nothing more to say other than it is poorly designed. If it wasn't the other issues wouldn't even be issues. Except for maybe the free food... That could probably still be an issue. But I gotta just stick with the poor design.

Most of the time its some third party software, junk, or spyware that clogs everything up. driver uninstalls not going proper and a coupld different ones conflicting. if you load windows and dont do stupid things with it it will last forever.

Airbornederekc said:
Most of the time its some third party software, junk, or spyware that clogs everything up. driver uninstalls not going proper and a coupld different ones conflicting. if you load windows and dont do stupid things with it it will last forever.
I completely agree.

If you take care of Windows there's no reason it shouldn't stay the way it started.
All you have to do is:
- Keep a good (and updated!) antivirus running in the background (there's almost no excuse for viruses)
- Run a defragmenter, spyware scanner, file cleaner, and registry cleaner every so often
- Keep noobware like stupid shareware programs, and about any Norton product, away from your computer
- Manage your run entries if you have limited RAM
... and Windows will last until the end of time without "rotting".

The thousands of dvd-to-ipod video programs out there (Why in the world would somebody want to see a DVD on their Ipod anyway?!) are a great example of stupid software people download. The fact that so many programs like that exist shows that LOTS of people just download the first shareware that Google brings up, instead of researching a decent program that can encode Ipod video (like DVDFab).
Anybody with habits like that will inevitably observe a rotting of their operating sytem.

Back