• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

double dust filtering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RATCAST

Registered
So I have a Corsair 540 case with 2x 140mm fans on the front 1 on the back and 2x 120mm fans on the top. the front of the case has a built in dust filter, my question is can I add dust filters to the back of the front fans also for more protection against dust and if so will it affect the air being sucked into the case ? thanks

Adding filters will always reduce airflow, to some extent. If they are fairly free flowing, it shouldn't affect it too much.

The front is (usually) where the air is sucked in, this air is 'contaminated' with dust particles. To prevent the dust to get in your pc you could place a dust filter in front of it. Of course there will always be some dust left in the air that get's into your case. The back is (usually) used as exhaust, you want the dust that did go through your intake fan filter to exit the pc. This is the reason why I think it's useless to place an air filter on the exhaust fan.

This ofcourse only works with positive air pressure (more intake than exhausting fans)

The front is (usually) where the air is sucked in, this air is 'contaminated' with dust particles. To prevent the dust to get in your pc you could place a dust filter in front of it. Of course there will always be some dust left in the air that get's into your case.

QFT. I filtered every intake on my case and while the filters get covered
with dust, I always find fine particulate dust all over the inside of my
case -- even on the 127 mm filter I have on my CPU heatsink.

Back