• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DP67BgB3 Motherboard replacement due to stupidity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cujet

Registered
My system: i7 2600K, Intel DP67BGB3, OCZ V3 240GB SSD, Corsair DDR3-1600 4GBx2, MSI 560GTX Ti OC, 7 ultimate, SilenX EFZ-120HA4 cooler.

So I finally pulled off the stock CPU fan and installed the SilenX EFZ-120 cooler. It came with some 30% silver paste, so I used it. Well, it was super thin and I put on a drop too much. Then, after installation, it flowed over the edge and into the processor pins, shorting them out.

OK, fine, I'll just spray with contact cleaner and be on my way.

Nope, I carefully cleaned up the contact cleaner with a microfiber rag. Well, an edge got caught on the processor socket pins, just like velcro. Ugg.

I carefully pulled it off and looked under a Nikon Stereo microscope at the pins. One was bent to the side a bit. So I pushed it back and it snapped. OH CRAP. I just made a scrap motherboard.

So I ran down to Comp USA and purchased another DP67BgB3 for $189.99. I swapped everything over and to my surprise, everything works 100%. No problems, no issues. No reloading Windows, All programs work fine. The only thing that changed was the overclock specs were back to default.

That was no problem either, as I saved my "profile" in the Intel Overclocking utility. It was easy to recover.

Overall, I am exceptionally pleased with Intel and the ease of replacement.

Now to see if the new cooler allows a higher overclock.

Back