• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dry Ice 101: The Basics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
So you're an avid overclocker who is constantly trying to get up some awesome scores to show off. You cant afford to spend $500+ for a vapor compression (phase change) setup, or $1000+ for a multi compressor cascade, and you aren't quite extreme enough to try out Ln2 (liquid nitrogen).

Well, if this describes you then fear not, you DO have an alternative. Dry ice cooling is the way to go for anyone looking to get some very nice temps and not break the bank.

Dry ice reaches a temp of -80C and will definitely out perform any Mach II or Vapochill that you throw at your CPU. Dry ice is pretty cheap, going for around $2.30CND a pound here in my town. In this post I'll be walking you through the steps to a sucessful dry ice encounter.

Most people look at dry ice as a terrifying method of cooling which can only lead to disaster. If you feel this way, hopefully this post will change your mind.

Ok, so you want to dry ice cool your CPU, what do you need?

1. A copper container with a solid copper baseplate of approx. 1/4" in thickness. The container should be anywhere from 10-14" in height with the walls of the container also around 1/4" thick, and with the total container being around 3 1/2" or so in width.

2. 20lbs. of dry ice (this will get you through a nice day of benching)

3. Plenty of neoprane

4. di-electric grease

5. liquid eletrical tape

6. You do need a liquid for good heat transfer. As was stated, water is no good since it freezes solid below 0 deg C

- Acetone is available at paint stores, Home Depot, etc. Lowest temperature is -78C

- Methanol (wood alcohol) is also available in the same places. It will give lower temperatures (-90C) and is slightly less flammable and has a higher vapor pressure.

- Ethanol or ethyl alcohol (vodka) will work but freezing might be a problem since getting >80% alcohol is difficult unless you distill it yourself or have a liquor license. Anyway, there are better uses for it.

- Ethyl ether is harder to get but is used commertially for anesthesia for animals. lower temps still (-100c) but it is highly flammable and has a low vapor pressure. I don't recommend using it outside of a laboratory.

-isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) is the least flammable, lowest vapor pressure and gives low temps but has a tendency to get very thick as the dry ice mixture gets cold. It is also the easiest to obtain from your drug store. I would say it is the safest of the above solvents for this purpose.
With all of these solvents good ventilation is required. Safety goggles should be worn since splashes of sub freezing liquid can freeze your eyeball in seconds.

Now once you have all of these items, you will need to start at the bare minimum by placing the di-electric grease in your socket so that it is completely sealed. Next you should cut a peice of neoprane to go behind the motherboard directly below the cpu, along with a gasket cut from the neoprane to go around the CPU socket.

Next you should seal off the neoprane with your liquid electrical tape to ensure that the socket is sealed completely with the neoprane.

Now that you have done this, your socket should be sealed off. Next will be to coat the dry ice container in neoprane. I recommend wrapping at least 1" of neoprane around the container. This will help prevent too much condensation building up on the container.

Once you have everything insulated and installed on the CPU you should begin to pour in the "liquid for heat transfer, one of the ones listed". Fill the container around 1/2 full with the acetone, and begin placing your dry ice in the container. The liquid will be spitting out of the container, so have a peice of plastic wrap cut to go over your motherboard would be a great idea.

Once you have the dry ice in the container, go ahead and fire the system up and go check your CPU temps. The CPU temps should get down to around -65C or so.

Make sure to keep checking to insure that you have plenty of ice left in the container, and make sure that the condensation isn't getting out of hand..

I will be updating this over time, feel free to post your opinion and questions and we'll all try to answer them.

Last edited:
surely this should be in the "extreme cooling" section? a lot of people dont want to go this far. But yes, STICKY!

Oh and I might add some socket sealing links and guides. One of which shows you how to get rid of the di-electric grease completely. Like if you had to RMA the motherboard they would not be able to tell anything had been done. I might add that you should put some of the grease on the PCB of the CPU if it does not have a heatspreader. Especially if it is an AMD and has bridges. You wouldn't want condensation forming on the CPU and shorting the bridges. Also You may want to insulate this container too so it does have have condensation. -THE AMD AND COOLIN MAN :cool: :cool:

Ok this is gonna be short and unfortunatly not as informative as the other time becuase I lost this freaking post 2 times now and have spent a ****ing hour on it already. ctrl C had better work this time. Im just posting the ****ing links this time. **** VB!! :mad: oh yea, I forgot, the links are alot but it is really short and has pics, you wont be reading it all day ;)

SOCKET SEALING GUIDE *note, I would just use the dielectric grease and screw the silicone. I already spent too much of my ****ing time typing out why twice so **** it. just trust me :mad:

SOCKET SEALING OTHER GUIDE

SOCKET SEALING GUIDE PAGE 1

SOCKET SEALING GUIDE PAGE 2

SOCKET SEALING GUIDE PAGE 3

SOCKET SEALING GUIDE PAGE 4

:cool:

Last edited:
Vrykyl said:
surely this should be in the "extreme cooling" section? a lot of people dont want to go this far. But yes, STICKY!

You are correct, it should be in extreme cooling, but I would disagree becuase it was intended for those
Origionally posted by the first post

who is constantly trying to get up some awesome scores to show off. You cant afford to spend $500+ for a vapor compression (phase change) setup, or $1000+ for a multi compressor cascade, and you aren't quite extreme enough to try out Ln2 (liquid nitrogen).

Nice idea, and carbon dioxide isnt exactly a fire risk :D.

@md0Cer said:
<huge text>

Please edit that, you are breaking the tables.

afireinside said:
Ok so liquid than dry ice. How long does the actone or whatever last before I need more and where do I get it from?

1.) WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!

2.) I am not sure how long the acetone lasts

3.) Acetone is nail polish remover I think. So I guess places like target, Walgreens, walmart, rite-aid etc.

My question is how long the dry ice lasts and how to cut it and get it in the container and how to make sure the container is making good contact with the CPU? Thanks. -THE AMD AND COOLIN MAN :cool: :cool:

afireinside said:
Ok so liquid than dry ice. How long does the actone or whatever last before I need more and where do I get it from?

Acetone is otherwise known as Propanone (or Propan-2-one, but all Propanone IS Propan-2-one) and is used in nail polish remover. Its liquid at room temperature but quite volatile and smelly.

Re: Dry Ice ...

Nice guide. :cool:

Dry Ice isn't available in many areas. At least not here in
Maryland. The only time I've seen it is when the Elec. Company
provideds it during an outage.

BTW ...........
There is a $30 kit where you can make your own if you
have access to a CO2 bottle.
Almost free that way. :D

They are getting scarce though. Likely because Dry Ice can be
used to make bombs. In fact, it's a felony in some areas. :(
* News Story *

do you not get dry ice when you squirt a co2 fire extinguisher into your hand (wearing a VERY thick glove of course)? they are readily available and fairly cheap....

Kinda hard to make a bomb out of dryice unless you plan on susicide bombing with it :p

So any nailpolish remover will be fine?

Now to find some dry ice around here...

Oh yea thanks for the welcome :D

ah very cool, i was thinking of trying something with CO2 as we have a ton of paintball tanks lyring around. Thnx for the post though great nfo!

Vrykyl said:
do you not get dry ice when you squirt a co2 fire extinguisher into your hand (wearing a VERY thick glove of course)? they are readily available and fairly cheap....

Because it doesnt get low enough in temperature to solidify.

Back