• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dry Ice 101: The Basics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking for dry ice? Look here. And when using your dry ice, remember that 1lb of dry ice sublimates into 8.3 cu ft of CO2 gas. So leave your windows open or get yourself some SCBA gear.

Also, if I remember correctly, you can just use alcohol (stronger the better) instead of acetone.

Last edited:
Would 78% isopropial alcohol be good or no?

If I did it in my basement with the window open and a fan blowing the on the rig pushing it away from me would I be safe?

A few things to watch with dry ice.

You need some ventilation, but nothing extreme. CO2 is slightly acidic, so you will start to feel like your lungs are burning well before the concentration gets high enough to be dangerous. Other than sticking your head in a large box full of dry ice vapor, you would be hard pressed to get it in a high enough concentration to cause you to black out.

A real danger however is in storing it. Do not ever put it in an airtight container. It WILL explode. Glass bottles are very dangerous in this respect.

Another danger is instant frostbite. Don't touch it. Use heavy gloves, tongs if you have them.

There is no way to keep dry ice in storage without using specal equipment that can hit 80 below. Don't put it in your freezer, as the intense cold could hurt it. Best is in a plastic cooler. Don't buy some and plan to use it 3 days later. It will be gone.

Lots of small peices will sublimate faster than one large peice. The bigger it is, the longer it will last. Get twice as much and it will last 3 times as long in storage.

And don't forget to drop a peice in some soapy water. That is very cool. Try the screaming spoon and knife trick too. :)

And although dry ice is nontoxic and you CAN put it in your drink safely... you have no idea where it's been stored or how it was made. Contaminants may be inside it, so avoid this particular gimic.

Anyway yea I've been reading about dry ice and I know not to put it in the freezer or close it up. Especially after reading a story about some girl who put some in a bottle, closed the top and it blinded her in one eye :(
I'd get it, put it in one of those styrafoam coolers (with added insulation of course :p ) and bring it home than smash it up as I put it in a smaller cup for use. And I'll wear insulated gloves.

Question:
At akiba-pc they have a video of cascadecooler man eating a little piece of dry ice. How the hell?

1 Q:

Where can I find this?

1. A copper container with a solid copper baseplate of approx. 1/4" in thickness. The container should be anywhere from 10-14" in height with the walls of the container also around 1/4" thick, and with the total container being around 3 1/2" or so in width.

And what purpose does the acetone serve?

The acetone or whatever transfers the heat because you use a bunch of little pieces meaning you wont get good cooling without a liquid ti transfer the heat.

As for the copper try onlinemetals

Re: Re: Dry Ice ...

Susquehannock said:
They are getting scarce though. Likely because Dry Ice can be
used to make bombs. In fact, it's a felony in some areas. :(
* News Story *

Hah! I remember years ago when my friends had some dry ice and I thought up that idea with the dry ice bottles. We actually put it in the Arizona glass bottles and boy were they LOUD! I didn't know it was actually called a "dry-ice bomb." Wow, am I smart! :p

if u want dry ice then order some omaha steaks. they come packed with a big chunk of it and then u can do some serious overclocking and grilling at the same time. lol.

hafa said:
One precaution:

Acetone is HIGHLY flamable. In fact, it ranks the highest of any rating (4) on the MSDS. Handle with care.
when u doing such supercooling, such type of liquid need to be used. That's part of the risk you will have to take..

I use methanol.. freezing point@ -97.8C, which is more than powerful enough to handle DI easy... even outperforms pure alcohol by slightly.

Last edited:
Do you have some more info as to where I can get a copper canister, and the dry ice itself locally? This sounds like a lot of fun :). I'm probably near you, in Toronto :).

Also, how do you clamp the copper dry ice cannister to the motherboard, or do you just set it on? Ideally wouldn't the cannister have mounting holes, and mount like most waterblocks do, via the four holes in a motherboard?

Does the cannister need to be lapped, and how do you know when to refill it, and when to stop benching and pushing your chip, besides the acetone/alchohol level getting low?

Thanks for the neat info - I can;t wait to see if I can give it a try! :)

felinusz said:
Also, how do you clamp the copper dry ice cannister to the motherboard, or do you just set it on? Ideally wouldn't the cannister have mounting holes, and mount like most waterblocks do, via the four holes in a motherboard?
like so:
dryice.jpg

on the left u have a hold down bar thingy at the top of the tube and long bolts

and on the right u have hole in the base of the tube and run short bolts through those

You can pick up dry ice @ welding supply houses, some carbonic sales/service companys (they sell/sevice soda dispensors). Oh & try looking in yellow pages for regular ice vendors, most have it or know where to get it.

As far as dry ice machines u can buy them, more than $30 tho!. A 50lb bottle of C02 makes about a 7lb block of dry ice.

I created a catch basket at one time and put it on the outside of my case intake and then filled it with dry ice. It blew very cold air into my case and dropped my temps by alot.

Can the copper container be open at the top assuming you have the motherboard lying down horizontally? Also someone mentioned that alcohol can be used are we talking about the drinking kind:D and if so how strong must it be?

Back