• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dry Ice 101: The Basics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fabulouscoops said:
Keeping dry ice under pressure is a no-no. The sheer quantity of gas formed from the solid would rupture most containers easily and possibly, explosively.

Awwww, the good ole days. That reminds me of my teenage years. Let's not get into detail... it's fun, yet EXTREMELY dangerous without precautions.

This is what happens if you put dry ice in a bottle, the lid shot off and hit him right between the eyes

edit: I wont get in trouble for this pic will I ?

Attachments

• dry ice bomb.jpg
    dry ice bomb.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,666
Shellshock, that guy is LUCKY!!

What did his underwear look like? Mine wouldn't be all that pretty, if I was stoopid enough to do that.

steve

Okay, I see a lot of posts about "where can I find this container?"

You have to make it by hand. Get a copper plate and copper tubing, and braze them together, then lap the copper plate.

SolidxSnake said:
Okay, I see a lot of posts about "where can I find this container?"

You have to make it by hand. Get a copper plate and copper tubing, and braze them together, then lap the copper plate.

Or, get a 2 inch piece of copper pipe, and a 2 inch pipe cap, and solder them together.

You'll have to fabricate a hold-down, but it'll work. (a couple of pieces of pipe, cut and bent, and soldered to the sides will be enough.)

steve

WHAT?! Create a 14" tall, 1/4" thick, and 3 1/2" wide copper container by hand?! That pretty much rules it out for a lot of people. Wow...this would've been SO COOL if we could just buy it online or something.

xFlankerx said:
WHAT?! Create a 14" tall, 1/4" thick, and 3 1/2" wide copper container by hand?! That pretty much rules it out for a lot of people. Wow...this would've been SO COOL if we could just buy it online or something.
Its pretty simple to make. Copper pipe, and a copper plate. Braze em together, add some holes for mounting and taddah!

Also there are some people who make them, but charge a pretty penny for them.

just a little side note here. Make sure when using the liquid electrical tape you got some ventilation. Used some to repair some wiring in an Arcade Cabinet and the stuff is VERY caustic. I'm talking sniffing paint thinner would be BETTER than getting a small whiff of this stuff, so be careful ;)

I couldn't believe I read through almost 2 years of thread posting about this topic with NO RESULTS. Where are the benches from this experiement. ??

Someone's got to have the balls to do this.

proth said:
I couldn't believe I read through almost 2 years of thread posting about this topic with NO RESULTS. Where are the benches from this experiement. ??

Someone's got to have the balls to do this.

Most people who have the balls to use dry ice have the balls to use liquid nitrogen, and so dry ice is not popular.

squeakygeek said:
Most people who have the balls to use dry ice have the balls to use liquid nitrogen, and so dry ice is not popular.

Not really... LN2 is harder to use and in my case harder to get. It's also more expensive.

afireinside said:
Not really... LN2 is harder to use and in my case harder to get. It's also more expensive.

Only harder to use because you have to put more effort into insulation because of the cooler temps. But cooler temps is kind of the whole point of this, isn't it? If you are going to insulate for dry ice, you're already putting a lot of work into it, so you might as well do a bit more.

Are you sure it's harder to get and more expensive for you? I live in a relatively sparsly populated area and I've gotten it from two different places. One time, me and some friends just walked into the place and told them we were going to use it for science experiments (really just messing around), and they didn't even charge us for it. They even lent us the dewar and told us to come back if we needed more. Ironically, I don't even know where I would go to get dry ice.

I don't mean to criticize anyone for doing this or wanting to do it, but someone wanted to know why the topic died off and I gave them my opinion. Am I wrong that liquid nitrogen is more popular than dry ice?

Baskin-Robbins (31 flavours) sells Dry Ice.

Most grocery stores in my (greater Phoenix) area does, too.

steve

LN2, try any welding supply store. If they don't have any, I'll bet they know someone who does.

steve

squeakygeek said:
Only harder to use because you have to put more effort into insulation because of the cooler temps. But cooler temps is kind of the whole point of this, isn't it? If you are going to insulate for dry ice, you're already putting a lot of work into it, so you might as well do a bit more.

Are you sure it's harder to get and more expensive for you? I live in a relatively sparsly populated area and I've gotten it from two different places. One time, me and some friends just walked into the place and told them we were going to use it for science experiments (really just messing around), and they didn't even charge us for it. They even lent us the dewar and told us to come back if we needed more. Ironically, I don't even know where I would go to get dry ice.

I don't mean to criticize anyone for doing this or wanting to do it, but someone wanted to know why the topic died off and I gave them my opinion. Am I wrong that liquid nitrogen is more popular than dry ice?

Harder as in you have to learn how to pour it right and constantly hold a temp. You don't just fill the tube to the top and go. You need to control it. Insulation has nothing to do with it being harder.

Back