• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dry Ice 101: The Basics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just found my day project. Going to setup a system on the benching desk and try fabbing up a container and knocking out a few (20lbs worth) of DICE benches.

Quick Q, where is a good place to buy Neoprene foam? I checked and both Homedepot and Lowes don't seem to carry it. I don't want to spend a fortune on the stuff, of course. And secondly what thickness would be about right? 3/16''? 1/2''?

Most kits include 1/4" neoprene or some other closed cell foam,which is about you will find for readily available pipe insulation, 1/2" is definately more effective, can be found fairly easily aswell.

Frostking and electricale grade waterproofing can be found at most electrical supply places, you might have to look for a place that mostly deals with contractors, most of these places if you ask them nicely and assure them you aren;t gonna be trying to return a large amount of products or look for consumer level support will still sell to you without a contracters liscence or buisness liscense.

Quick Q, where is a good place to buy Neoprene foam? I checked and both Homedepot and Lowes don't seem to carry it. I don't want to spend a fortune on the stuff, of course. And secondly what thickness would be about right? 3/16''? 1/2''?

Grainger.com sells the neoprene sheets and everything else you can't find at HD or Lowes...

If you need Frost King and can't find it; they do have it at HD... just ask they guys there to tell you where item FV516 is located.

I ended up finding the frost king stuff at lowes for $20 after taxes on my 3rd trip there -- the first two they had the wrong product on the shelf, and not until I found out their stock numbers did I have someone go and find it for me (on the top shelf of some random stack), fortunately that isn't not too bad and got a big roll of it.

Looks like I will be splitting my time between grainer and mcmaster to see where I get a better price on the stuff. Thanks guys!

The mcmaster stuff is 1/4'' and relatively cheap. It is what Gautum posted a while ago.

8647K23
In stock for $7.43 per ft.
Material Type: Weather-Resistant Neoprene/EPDM/SBR Foam Rubber
Shape:Sheets, Bars, and Strips
Backing:No Backing
Thickness:1/4"
Thickness Tolerance:±0.025"
Length:Cut-to-Length
Maximum Continuous Length:50'
Width:42"
Width Tolerance:±1-1/4"
Temperature Range:-40° to +200° F
Density:4-8 lbs./cu. ft.
Foam Structure:Closed Cell
Texture Type:Fine Cell
Foam Firmness:Extra Soft
Firmness, psi:2-5 (25% Deflection)
Compression Recovery:Fair
Color:Black
Finish:Textured
Tolerance:Standard
Specifications Met:American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Military Specifications (MIL), Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
ASTM Specification:ASTM D1056
MIL Specification:MIL-C-3133C, MIL-STD-670B
UL Specification:UL 94HF1
Properties:Weather Resistant, Flame Resistant
Notes:Material does not have a skin.

Back