• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dry ice plus mineral oil?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dan0804smith

Registered
im currently experimenting with overclocking (noob) and i think one of the most cost effective easiest way to cool the $5 laptop that i am going to be practicing on would be to separate the compotes (but still keeping them wired) submersing it in mineral oil and dropping dry ice in it. will this work?

Well, the dry ice will definitely cool the mineral oil. Don't know how easy it will be to use the laptop if submerged in mineral oil though.

I am not sure cooling will be your biggest hurdle, settings in the MB bios will prove to be the downfall into your experence.

yeah im going to separate the parts as much as i can i wont allow the keyboard to be in the oil.

or i might just submerge it liek half an inch with dry ice

I am not sure cooling will be your biggest hurdle, settings in the MB bios will prove to be the downfall into your experence.

please elaborate on this

Last edited by a moderator:
Odds are you won't be able to overclock the laptop because they are generally pretty locked down when it comes to the setting of the Front Side Bus and the Multiplier, especially on older models.

That is an interesting concept. I don't know for sure but I think the mineral oil would freeze or thicken up and you would get no flow of heat. Probably would freeze except around heat sources which would probably be in pockets of hot oil?

Odds are you won't be able to overclock the laptop because they are generally pretty locked down when it comes to the setting of the Front Side Bus and the Multiplier, especially on older models.
Exactly 1...

That is an interesting concept. I don't know for sure but I think the mineral oil would freeze or thicken up and you would get no flow of heat. Probably would freeze except around heat sources which would probably be in pockets of hot oil?
Exactly 2!

We need to write a rule for this forum: No discussion of overclocking laptops. Things do not go well when they are OCed.

I have to imagine that the capacitors on this old laptop would not appreciate the ~-70 environment of a DICE dunk.

Just set a chunk of DICE next to the incoming vent of the laptop and let it suck in the cool vapors as it sublimes! On second thought condensation might be a problem there...

I think there was someone benching laptops within the last year or so.. I remember someone was putting dice right on the heatsink. If I remember correctly they were getting some cups on hwbot. Probably in the benching section.

If you pull the laptop apart, you'll find the Gpu/Cpu heatsink combo. Stick a normal DIce/Ln2 pot on that and just keep the temps in a careful range (to avoid condensation).

Problem with immersion is that most substances degrade fairly quickly. Mineral oil has a limited lifespan for immersion, so do alot of the other oils people use for it. Best substance to use is called Flourinert, made by the 3M corporation specificly for Immersion and phase change high output / low temperature chilling. Originally designed for use with Cray super computers. Its been used by the main frame and super computer industry for years. It costs around 1500$ a gallon. You also want to run it in a closed system, cause it will phase change depending on the version, and the phase change chemicles are harmful, plus you don't want it boiling off to not be recaptured.

If you are going to go the DICE in mineral oil route you are probably going to run into poisioning of the mineral oil with water if you just drop dice straight into it. You will probably need to seperate the DICE and mineral oil, so that you can avoid water getting into the mineral oil.

Just set a chunk of DICE next to the incoming vent of the laptop and let it suck in the cool vapors as it sublimes! On second thought condensation might be a problem there...
Cool air on warm parts does not create condensation. Warm air on cool parts does. Just like taking a soda out of the fridge.

I also agree that cooling oil isn't going to work well. That isn't even mentioning this is a laptop.

@ dan0804smith

Apparently your idea is not as far fetched as you had initially thought.

This has been done before

@ TJ
Dry ice is frozen CO2; there is no way it will make water when mixed with mineral oil. I would see the risk of water contamination if the tanks walls got cold enough that condensation were to form on the parts not immersed in oil, but other than that I see no reason for the DICE to contaminate the oil by itself.

Back