• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dry ice plus mineral oil?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would frost form on the inside of the laptop? And subsequently melt and spoil all the fun?
It could, but as as long as it was frozen, there isn't an issue. Once it melts, you have a problem if the system is on.

@ dan0804smith

@ TJ
Dry ice is frozen CO2; there is no way it will make water when mixed with mineral oil. I would see the risk of water contamination if the tanks walls got cold enough that condensation were to form on the parts not immersed in oil, but other than that I see no reason for the DICE to contaminate the oil by itself.

The poisioning i am refering to is due to poor storage of it, if you live in more humid enviroment your gonna get ice build up on the outside of your dry ice to a small level, The fact that the oil is gonna reject the water to a point is going to mean that there is a high chance it will group up. and depending on the turbulence of your immersion system there is the posibility of the water thats become grouped up to come in contact with the circutry and cause problems.

Alot of the immersion system i have seen don't just immerse the system in a liquid but use a waterfall system for pumping and dispersion across the system, which increases the likelyhood of this being a problem.

Back