• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSL (and tech support) problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leviathan41

I have been having problems with my AT&T DSL connection for a while now. It will lose sync several times a night and kick me off the internet (intermittent connection). I've called tech support a few times, the first time they thought it was the modem and sent me a new modem, that didn't fix any problems. The next time they found some problems with the connection and sent a tech out to my apartment. He worked on the lines in my apartment, but said he was still getting errors with the connection and said he would send the info to AT&T and that they would probably send a truck out to work on the lines outside of my apartment (he was an independent contractor).

I called tech support again tonight to see if there was a truck scheduled to come out, but they said that the tech had listed the visit as successful and that nobody was scheduled to come out and work on it, even though I'm still having the problems.

While talking to the tech, she did some tests and said I was "pulling a double session" and that I was getting 2 IP addresses. :confused: She reset my DSL account password and I relogged in. She asked if I my computer was connected directly to the modem and I told her I have a router (it's a wireless Linksys router with Tomato firmware). She said that could be the problem and that my router is pulling an IP in addition to my modem. I tried to explain to her that all the PPP is done on the modem and my router just acts as an access point, but she kept telling me I needed to enter the DSL login information into my router.

This doesn't sound right to me, it shouldn't matter what my router is doing if the PPP is being handled by the modem and the router just shares the connection to the computers on my local network. Am I wrong about this? She wanted me to try connecting directly to the modem and she was going to run a 24 hour line monitoring and call me tomorrow. The modem has already lost sync once while being connected directly, heck it even loses it with no devices connected to it. I tried to explain this but it didn't work. Any advice? I don't really know what to do in a situation like this.

Pretty sure the modem does the whole thing. That is what a modem does.

A router just routes packets. You would have to specifically setup your router or computer to have it connect through PPP.

Short answer: No

is the filter on your line outside the house at the nid, or inside on the phone jacks? I'm surprised they didn't ask you about replacing the filter(s) as that's pretty much step #2 after rebooting the modem.

Back