• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual boot ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HammerHeadHank

Registered
Hi, I recently tried to copy my operating system ( XP PRO ) from one hard-drive to another,with partition magic and upon a system reboot I have the option to select which operating system to boot from.Well my question is since I removed One of the hard-drives I don't need the select which operating system to boot from.How do I remove that command string?
When I run the msconfig command and try to remove it it tells me to log on with administrator rights action denied well according to the control panel I am the administrator.Please help!
Thank you,HammerHeadHank

Well it's simple.

Go into the search and type boot.ini. Open it up with notepad and simply remove the entry that you don't use anymore. Save it and reboot.

I would recommend that you bake backup of your boot.ini in case something goes wrong. Just take original and make a copy of it boot.ini.backup.

RedDragonXXX said:
Well it's simple.

Go into the search and type boot.ini. Open it up with notepad and simply remove the entry that you don't use anymore. Save it and reboot.

I would recommend that you bake backup of your boot.ini in case something goes wrong. Just take original and make a copy of it boot.ini.backup.

Hi, thank you for the response.I tried what you suggested and now upon system boot I receive the same screen except of given the choice to select between two XP op systems it now says windows default and the XP op system as my choices.Did I miss a step?

Thank You,HammerHeadHank

It should look something like this:

microsoft.com said:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Hi, this is what the boot.ini reads :
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (#1)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I deleted the top string but still get the dual boot option This is it before I deleted the top string command any thoughts?
Thanks HammerHeadhank

HammerHeadHank said:
Hi, this is what the boot.ini reads :
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (#1)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I deleted the top string but still get the dual boot option This is it before I deleted the top string command any thoughts?
Thanks HammerHeadhank
I think you have to remove the /noexcecute=optin fromt the string.
You could also rebuild the boot.ini in recovery console with a simple command.

Back