• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Reserator 1 PLUS issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for all the responses and discussions, I am going to cut down by removing the blocks and the reserators. Than get started from the moment I have a high enough flow rate, thats the biggest problem to start with.

I can pickup a Dual MCP350 with aquacover top for 70 Euro.(moddable to 355)

If I add these together with my current MCP355 with XSPC Top I will get a decent flow rate right?

When this is running good, (in terms of flow rate) I will add another 360/240 radiator or try a reserator for fun first.

Have a great Xmas!!

If you remove the Reserators, HD blocks, and MOSFET MB block, I don't think you'll really need more pump. The water mass in those Reserators really kills flow rates.

If it were me, I'd get an XSPC res-top for your current 355 (since you'll need a res of some kind). Flow rates shouldn't be a problem. It's a pretty powerful pump, even with 4 blocks in the loop.

I'm not sure where 120.2 per chip came from, back when I was in every thread, my rule of thumb for recommendations was 120x1.5 per CPU, 120.1 per GPU, and round up...which actually works out to exactly what you recommend!

As you alluded to later in that post, that does rather dated these days. You'd probably be pretty close if you reversed those! 120x1 per 4-cores of CPU (HT doesn't count), 120x1.5 per GPU (120.2 for stuff like Hawaii?), round up, minimum of 120x2 (what's the point of less??).

Yea, but see, I can't resist the urge to put little modifiers in there ... :sly:

Clever "rules of thumb" are not my forte obviously, lol.

Pictures now added correctly:

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

As you alluded to later in that post, that does rather dated these days. You'd probably be pretty close if you reversed those! 120x1 per 4-cores of CPU (HT doesn't count), 120x1.5 per GPU (120.2 for stuff like Hawaii?), round up, minimum of 120x2 (what's the point of less??).

Yea, but see, I can't resist the urge to put little modifiers in there ... :sly:

Clever "rules of thumb" are not my forte obviously, lol.

Except that GPUs can exist at a pretty high dT and not really care, so you don't need as much rad to keep the dT low. I think it's because the GPU cores are much larger, so getting the heat out of them is easier...with an aggressive setup you can see near-ambient GPU temps at load, and you just don't see that on CPUs. I was running a BIX 360 with 3 shrouded AFB1212VHE's on my 1366 board (back when that rig was up), and my CPU temps would still top out around 50-60C, depending on ambients...that's with a dT of ~1C, if memory serves.

Did I read that first post right and you have your hard drives WC'd?

I must admit, I do not have a clear picture of the routing of this loop.

Today i reverted the loop back to one Reserator, but the flow is still not as good as it was before i added the second reserator, i think there is a obstruction somewhere in the loop, have to sort this out first.

Did I read that first post right and you have your hard drives WC'd?

I must admit, I do not have a clear picture of the routing of this loop.

I have these HDD water blocks for 4 harddrives, 2 times:

http://www.highflow.nl/water-blocks/hdd-blocks/aqua-computer-aquadrive-dual.html

I will try to make a schematic drawing of the loop.

I found out that when I connect the pump in the opposite way the flow is very great, I think the cpu block got blocked with stuff that does not belong there. Maybe it came out of the 2nd reserator.

What necessitated cooling your HDDs?

Mostly silence, they would probally work just as good without having water running through it.

The hd blocks, are more about eye candy, than practicality. Just cool your cpu, and gpus.

It's a closed "box" with isolation material, it also is mounted with rubber socket's so there is no vibration.

But then what does the WC help? You could just do an isolated mount on the HDDs and not use the WC block for them, thus reducing your loop's restriction and helping the temps of everything else in the loop.

Hello Guys,

Here is an update about this whole watercooling story,

I found out that the CPU block got massively blocked with stuff:
IMAG0175.jpg

After cleaning that the flowrate got allot better.

I have order a dual MCP350 Pump with XSPC TOP and 2x EK 360MM Radiators.
That schould cool the beast!

How long have you had this system and when's the last time you did some maintenance?

All your blocks, reserators etc have been compromised. I would strip the whole system apart and clean everything! I am sure there's more places with that "stuff" lurking around.

Now's the time to simplify your water cooling system. Grab a reservoir, cylinder or Bay Res and make sure you get rid of the old tubing and buy some new PrimoChill Advanced LRT tubing. Use some distilled water and a kill coil.

How long have you had this system and when's the last time you did some maintenance?

All your blocks, reserators etc have been compromised. I would strip the whole system apart and clean everything! I am sure there's more places with that "stuff" lurking around.

QFT. Clean everything.

I thought those blocks normally flowed from the inside to the outside. Does flow direction not matter with those blocks?

But yea, you'll need to tear down the whole loop and clean. If it's in the CPU block it's everywhere else too.

Thanks for the responses guys!

This system is running for a few years now, i remember hadding stuff in the PCU block 2 years back and cleaned it, don't know where it did come from this time tho, maybe out of the 2nd Reserator i got.

I did start to disconnect everything to clean it, i even opened up my 6990 EK waterblock (voiding the warranty) to see what i looks like from the inside, and strangely enough it was perfectly clean!

I think the reason it all builds up on the CPU block is because this block has very narrow "lines" in the copper, which sucks for flowrate! the 6990 block has way bigger "lines" in the material so the "stuff" just passes through there. (Is it in idea to get my "Dremel" and make the line's in the copper a bit bigger?)

Even after cleaning the block out, when i try to blow air through it you can feel the restriction, the restriction is way higher then the Motherboard block itself.
Maybe this is good for the CPU temp but not for the flowrate's.

I Always use car fluid (the purple one) this is cheap, helps against corrosion and is good for the pump (Greasy). Many people swear that you need a good expensive coolant or demi-water with additives but i think this car coolant is almost as effective for 1/10th of the cost.

Today i am going to take it all apart, clean it, and add the new components:

Dual MCP350 pump (going to mod it to the 355)
774012.jpg

Got 2 additional EK 360 Radiators,Replacing the current no name 360 Radiator and adding a 2nd! (maybe even use the old 360 Radiator if needed):
full.jpg

This should get my temps down!

I thought those blocks normally flowed from the inside to the outside. Does flow direction not matter with those blocks?

But yea, you'll need to tear down the whole loop and clean. If it's in the CPU block it's everywhere else too.

Microchannel blocks flow from one edge to another, usually direction doesn't matter (see: EK Supreme HF). Impingement blocks flow from center to edge, and reversing it will generally hurt performance significantly, as the design relies on the turbulence generated by forcing the fast-moving fluid around the pins (see: Swiftech XT).

Back