• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual screens on one wide HDTV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

K, this is something I might want to seriously consider. In the near future I'm gonna be getting a projector/or HDTV. I want to try to use this as not only my computer monitor, but also TV/DVD etc. However, I like dual monitors....no I love dual monitors!!!!

I would think this would be feasable, but I'm not sure how the VGA signal works.

My Idea/Question:
Design a box that accepts 2 VGA pluggins and sends out 1 VGA signal.
It will have off/on button (pretty sure I can make that), and 1 button to switch from video processing of the 2 VGA signals to 1 VGA signal, and lastly, just sending 1 signal strait through. The latter would be very simple to imlement...the former I'm not really sure.

If the projector is set to send out a 16:9 ratio imagine. Normal VGA signals are 4:3 or 16:12. I would want to have the video processor to take in the 2 video signals and send 1 VGA signal to a 8:6, with the top 8:1.5 to be black, as well as the bottom 8:1.5 (so shrink VGA signal 1 in half, and add black to top and bottom to fill the 8:9 half of the left side) Then do the same thing with the second VGA signal only offset halfway to the right. So this would look like a dual monitor setup on the big screen, and the videocard would function like dual monitors.

Input/Ideas, technical scematics very welcome!!!

*technical specs on VGA would be very nice as well*

Last edited:
Not exactly the same idea (but that's a little beyond me), however, some rear-screen, wide-screen projection HDTVs allows for picture next to picture (that's not really what they call it). This is sort of like picture in picture (PiP). You might be able to use S-video out (on two cards of course) to drive the side-by-side pictures.

Just be carefull of burning an image onto that nice new projector. We have a plasma screen at work with a permanent Start menu burned in. Go LCD or direct view for PC use.

I don't think it'd be possible for the average person to build this "box". druidelder is right, many HDTV's have picture next to picture. HDTV's probably don't have dual VGA imputs, but you could use s-video and vga then run picture next to picture.

Back