• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual slot cooler third party for 4850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OBLIVIONLORD

Is anyone aware of such of cooler if there is one available. I would really like to expell the heat out of the case in this fashion. Thanks

Yes there is. Was just mentioned in one of the huge amount of threads or articles I saw today. Someone has a Dual Slot cooler for this card, but not sure its released yet.

Seems like HIS always makes the rear ventilation coolers for their cards before anyone else (If it doesn't come standard), which I like seeing.

well thats messed up. didnt see that . and here i thought i actually found something new lol it looks good though

according to hardware canucks any dual slot or aftermarket cooler designed for the 3870 will also fit the 4850 and 4870.
We tried the Thermalright HR-03 GT, Thermaltake DuOrb, Coolink GFXChilla and Arctic Cooling S1 Rev.2 and every one of them fit without any problems at all.

Link

What im looking for is the type of cooler the expells the gpu heat outside the case. None of those aftermarket coolers do that. If the 3870 coolers fit the 4850 then is there a dualslot cooler that does this?

Less specific please.

There might be. :beer:

In all honesty, we were teased with the idea of one and then as far as I know it was completely thrown out the door. One of the things that makes the 4850 cheaper is the fact that the cooler is smaller so it costs less money to make. A dual slot cooler uses a lot more copper or aluminum (whatever they choose to use, or even copper covered aluminum) and costs more. If you want a better cooling solution this time around, you're most likely going to have to get something 3rd party or snag a 4870 instead.

I used a duOrb on my 3870 and it does a fantastic job, though I had to redo me entire case for rewiring behind the motherboard, adding 5 120mm fans, and getting better overall airflow with a dremmel saw and some time. Now my 3870 idles in the mid 40's and loads at 51-52c with hardly any noise. :D

Your best bet if you don't want to use a secondary cooler is to either 1) wait for the DDR5 4850's and see if they are also fitted with a larger cooler, or 2) buy a 4870 instead.

Last edited:
I think a 4850 with 512bit is a silly idea since the 4870 already has it.. is clocked higher and comes with the dual slot cooler. All for just $100 more. No reason to waste time with the idea of 512 on the 4850. Only thing I can see is that if you want to use aftermarket cooling then it would be a good idea providing they don't include the cost of an already attached cooler onto it since if it retains the same type of thin fan cooling solution then it's just going to be a minor enhancement over the 4850 out now since the new one will simply have 512bit.

Last edited:
I think a 4850 with 512bit is a silly idea since the 4870 already has it.. is clocked higher and comes with the dual slot cooler. All for just $100 more. No reason to waste time with the idea of 512 on the 4850. Only thing I can see is that if you want to use aftermarket cooling then it would be a good idea providing they don't include the cost of an already attached cooler onto it since if it retains the same type of thin fan cooling solution then it's just going to be a minor enhancement over the 4850 out now since the new one will simply have 512bit.

None of the new ATI cards have a 512-bit bus. ATI strategy is to use higher speed GDDR5 RAM to boost bandwidth. The only ATI card w/ a 512-bit bus is the 2900, but it didn't have the crunch power to make use of the extra bandwidth. The main differences b/n the 4850 and 4870 is that the 4870 is clocked higher, it has better VRMs (cleaner and more abundant power), and uses GDDR5 (the 4850 has GDDR3).

The new nVidia cards (260/280GTX) use a 512-bit bus, but hang on to the GDDR3 RAM.

Back