• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual slot cooler third party for 4850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Although very interesting, this doesnt take a way the fax that the single slot coolers dont extract the heat each card produces outside the case. I would gather this would not be such a problem if they are reaching 60 max.

Although very interesting, this doesnt take a way the fax that the single slot coolers dont extract the heat each card produces outside the case. I would gather this would not be such a problem if they are reaching 60 max.

I totally agree. I really need something that's going to push all of this hot air OUT of the case.

Hi mjw21a, why doesn't the Iceberq 6 fit? I have one and was thinking of putting it on a 4850. Thanks.

Was looking at hole positioning and approximating where they were on my old IceBERQ 6. If you do go ahead and it fits I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, especially if it drops the temps. :beer:

Meh, this is no longer a valid thread for me. Upgrading to a new case + PSU dropped my temps significantly. I'll stick with the stock GPU cooler thanks :santa2:

Can you enlighten us from what case to what case you switched too? Seems like the case you did have was, well quiet small in size, really small.

Can you enlighten us from what case to what case you switched too? Seems like the case you did have was, well quiet small in size, really small.

Yeah, it was an EZCool DT-01 case. I need something small in my room, and my computer desk has an opening for a small desktop type case. Decided the noise, lack of cooling, zero expandabillity and difficulty to work on just wasnt worth it so sacrificed a little leg space for my new Coolermaster Elite 334 case.

I now just accidentally kick it every now again, actually a fair bit....... :beer:

So a whole month and a half has gone by since the 4850's release and has there popped up any dual slot coolers that expell the heat out the case or what?

Aye if you want cooling to blow out get the 4870. If not get a non-reference 4850 or get aftermarket cooling for it.

Aye if you want cooling to blow out get the 4870. If not get a non-reference 4850 or get aftermarket cooling for it.
but still none have a direct exhaust. My 4850 has really raised temps in my Antec P180 mini compared to my old 8800GTS 512MB card. This is with after market cooling.

i read on techgage that a new revision of the 4000 series may be coming out soon. they will have a revision of the core, which will allow higher core clock. this may then allow the current core clock to run at lower temperatures.

http://techgage.com/article/asus_eah4850_512mb/12
it says this right above the picture of the Asus 4850 fan picture.

anyone heard anything of this kind?
EDIT: RUMOUR

Meh, since I've already got the 4850 now it isn't relevant for me. Found the Accelero S1 dropped my temps by 20C and since I got my new CM Elite 334 my case temps are typically 32C at idle so temps now longer concern me. These are the best temps I've ever had with a system period so very happy right now :beer:

The thing is, companies are kind of timid right now. 4850/4870 drops, then the 4870x2, then the 9800GTX+. What's next?

Do they really want to commit R&D to a card when you have no idea when it's going to be replaced by the boys in red/green?

I say, if you need cooling, get a DuOrb, put a fan next to it that exhausts air out and call it a day. Also, it is rather tempting to get a 4870 when you consider the price of a cooler and that you're basically paying $40-50 for GDDR5 and a warranty for your "better cooled" video-card.

Putting the fan at the center isn't going to push the air from the rear of the card out much. The nvidia dual slot coolers are really nice in which they are very effective at making sure all air is not kept within the slot.

I guess it's best to still stick with the 4870.

You could try seeing if someone of the forums bought aftermarket cooling for their 4870, and would be willing to sell their old heatsink

Easiest method: Post in the wanted section in classifieds for a 3870 or 4870 stock cooler. There are lots of people on this forum who have put better coolers on their cards, and will have spare stock coolers.

Yup you're right, I forgot that 3xxx uses the same mounting bracket. I think the 1xxx and 2xxx heatsinks are compatible as well.

Back