• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Xeons and video editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kibo-kun

Dual 2.8 Xeons.....holy god. >< My friend has some ridiculously uber computer with this stuff. She does a lot of video stuff...would the Dual Xeons help a lot with that?

as far as I know dual CPU's will help most with rendering the movie and encoding. There may be other things that could be spend up that im not aware of though.

hmm...well, now I'm betting Adobe Premier runs without a hitch for her...lucky person...dual xeons....GWAR.

See the top rig in my sig :D Wasn't luck but lots of hard work to dream, plan, earn the bux and finally build it.

Most pro video apps are SMP aware and benifit from dual CPUs.

Audioaficionado said:
See the top rig in my sig :D Wasn't luck but lots of hard work to dream, plan, earn the bux and finally build it.

Most pro video apps are SMP aware and benifit from dual CPUs.

:clap: :beer: Woot! Awesome! :D

hmm...I should tell her then...she'll probably explode. XD

You can build a decent Xeon duallie for under $800 if you base it on 1.6GHz LV Xeons and the Asus PC-DL. Some guys are OCing them past 3GHz. This would be an excellent bang for the buck system.

Audioaficionado said:
You can build a decent Xeon duallie for under $800 if you base it on 1.6GHz LV Xeons and the Asus PC-DL. Some guys are OCing them past 3GHz. This would be an excellent bang for the buck system.

Holy crap...now if only dual 3Gigs in SMP actually equated to one 6Gig. XD

my dad works in it and once took me down to the mega server room of the company he works for. Xeons everywhere. I was like whoa! awsome, how do i steel me some of thesees and he said 'you dont'

um, i don't think you really can. Because you can't just multiply the two because you have the bus speed overhead and ramspeed overhead and many other factors. Also a multi-processor machine won't run any faster than a single processor machine on a single threaded app. But when it comes to multi-threaded apps, smp smokes single.

It also depends on the how well the program takes advantage of smp.

AFIsoldier said:
Where are you finding those Processors, and why in the heck is newegg, zipzoomfly, and 3 other better known stores out of stock on that PC-DL?
pcsurplusonline.com is where people are getting the 1.6 GHz Xeons.
I had to get my (2) PC-DLs from mwave.com
They are $180ea. Fedex 3day was $18 for 2 of them.
My first set is running at 16x155 @ default voltage (1.3V)

Twin_Turbo said:
pcsurplusonline.com is where people are getting the 1.6 GHz Xeons.
I had to get my (2) PC-DLs from mwave.com
They are $180ea. Fedex 3day was $18 for 2 of them.
My first set is running at 16x155 @ default voltage (1.3V)

I haven't used Xeons before, but can I ask you about that setup?

Can they do 15x200?
(I want to build a Xeon 3Ghz setup at reasonably low cost to replace an old dual PIII 1Ghz.)

Did you have to do any voltage mods with that mobo?

yeah, if you get 2.4ghz 533fsb xeons, you can do the moosemod (a simple jumper change only on the PC-DL board). I believe M0 is the best for doing this mod, I myself have D1's and am able to do it. Others with the same stepping have had worse luck.

Last time i checked 2.4ghz 533fsb xeons on newegg were ~$230

I don't want to /high-jack anyone from OCForums but 2CPU.com has lots of threads on putting together dual Xeon rigs. It's where I got most of my info.

Audioaficionado said:
I don't want to /high-jack anyone from OCForums but 2CPU.com has lots of threads on putting together dual Xeon rigs. It's where I got most of my info.

Naughty naughty Audio :D I was about to do the same thing though :p

i have an amd dually...it may only be dual 1.2 ghz, but holy god do i love it!

i have yet to see a single video app that doesnt use both...Ulead is a VERY VERY nice suite ...it renders faster than anything ive ever seen....Yes premiere, AEFX, Photoshop, Audition, i beleive almost all adobe programs are SMP compatable.

Combustion 3 is a EXCELLENT app, but its very buggy...it lags this thing, yet people with single 1ghz notebooks run it fine...

You can also do 3D work on a dually...all products by Discreet are smp compatable..Cararra 3D, Bryce, AutoCAD, i think there are some antiviruses that are multithreaded.

i will post the dumb, obvious (but i didnt know this at first) you MUST have win2kpro OR winxpPRO..or linux or NT...win9x will NOT take use of both CPUs....and actually will slow it down...my friend put win 98 on a quad proliant...never knew a quad could be that slow...Ive heard xphome willnot work with both CPU's....i saw this as true....i dont know if theresa patch or what...but xppro is the way to go.

Dual monitors help for vid editing too :)

I dont know if anyone knew this, but RegCleaner is SMP ready. Just read the status when its working, under number of threads it will = the number of CPU's.

Dc5e said:
yeah, if you get 2.4ghz 533fsb xeons, you can do the moosemod (a simple jumper change only on the PC-DL board). I believe M0 is the best for doing this mod, I myself have D1's and am able to do it. Others with the same stepping have had worse luck.

Last time i checked 2.4ghz 533fsb xeons on newegg were ~$230
The MooseMod works on the 1.6 GHz LV Xeons also if you do the Vcore u-wire socket mod to 1.6V (1.56V actual). But you can't guarantee 3 GHz Prime95 stable with them. For complete stability, it seems 2.8 GHz to 2.9 GHz is the general range. I had a setup with the 2.4/533 M0 steppings running at 3.5 GHz but sold it to our lead software developer at work. So I built a much cheaper one with the $120 dual Xeons. Even the DDR was cheaper and it runs at 220 MHz without the need for any VDIMM mod. To be honest, 2.85 GHz is fine for me. Especially with the FSB at 220 MHz! :beer:

Back