• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duel Hard Drive Question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekDRP

Disabled
Ok I've ordered 250 gb hdda for my 5th computer build and I want to know how do do this duel system, Well not really but here is my question.

I'm going to use the brand new drive as the main drive and my 200 gb drive as my storage, right now it's the main hardrive I'm using to type with.

Anyways if I install the new hard drive and get the system up and running first "THEN" install the old drive as the slave drive, Will I be able to grab stuff off the old hdda? Like my models? And just re set 3d studio max?

Should be that easy right?

Ok I've ordered 250 gb hdda for my 5th computer build and I want to know how do do this duel system, Well not really but here is my question.

I'm going to use the brand new drive as the main drive and my 200 gb drive as my storage, right now it's the main hardrive I'm using to type with.

Anyways if I install the new hard drive and get the system up and running first "THEN" install the old drive as the slave drive, Will I be able to grab stuff off the old hdda? Like my models? And just re set 3d studio max?

Should be that easy right?

Derek,

If your old drive is your current operating system drive to be made your slave drive, just don't run any executable programs from it. You'll have to reinstall them on your new boot drive with your new registry. You can still grab your data from it and back it up, then format the old drive.

The easy way would be to clone the drive. Then format the old drive to NTFS or your favorite file system. The disk tools the drive ships with should have a clone option on it. If not the makers site should have it. If not, there is gobs of free apps around the net to get the same thing. I found Seatools and the WD suite work pretty good though.

You would be doing yourself a good service getting a disk imaging suite and doing regular backups. Most have the option of cloning or doing imaging.

Also not to be rude but I think by hdda you mean "HDD" or Hard Disk Drive.

typo is a mistake because of accidental key stroke. he says "hdda" twice :p

Derek,

If your old drive is your current operating system drive to be made your slave drive, just don't run any executable programs from it. You'll have to reinstall them on your new boot drive with your new registry. You can still grab your data from it and back it up, then format the old drive.
That's basicaully what I wanted to know. And Enabling wolf The suite would have to wait a while since I'm broke now for a good while.

Ben Crap you mean I've been saying HDDA for years? CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously I thought that's how you would abbreviate it my bad :)

hehe, don't worry I misread stuff all the time and then when I go to type or say it i'm wrong :p

Derek DriveImage XML is free and works well. Cloning a drive is also free. Unless you are due for a redo. This only takes like 30 minutes to do. Compared to something like one to two days reloading. The imaging a drive will save future trips to the install CD too. Restoring an image is super fast once you get the install the way you like it.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/DriveImage-XML.shtml
http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/

Clone a drive. Makes an exact copy of a drive to another drive.
Image a drive. Takes a snapshot for later use as in restoring.

Last edited:
That's basicly what I wanted to know. And Enabling wolf The suite would have to wait a while since I'm broke now for a good while.

Derek,

The suggestions by EW are right on and the best way if you feel comfortable doing it. If your pleased with the way your system is running, then go for it. If you feel you need a fresh reinstall anyhow, that's up to you. Either way will work.

Back