• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dumb B450 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarhead7236

forgive the dumbness but thinking of running a ryzen 3 3200G with a B450 mobo for the integrated graphics...do I need to update the bios? I read that the B450 mobos need the bios flash to run the 3200G...or did I read incorrectly? thank you.

I do know that boards needed an update between first and second-gen Ryzen and between second and third-gen. A lot would depend on what generation your current BIOS supports. The 3200g is based on second-gen 12 nm and likely would work with the second-gen BIOS but there's no guarantee.
Short answer...why not?

Certain motherboards (read ASUS) list a CPU compatibility for each specific board and what BIOS is required to run on that board.

Have you picked out a motherboard yet?

Unless the motherboard manufacture date postdated the bios release that rendered it compatible with the new generation of Ryzens you would need to update the bios. Board manufacturers started releasing those bios updates in the last quarter. Do you have a first or second generation Ryzen CPU already?

Unless the motherboard manufacture date postdated the bios release that rendered it compatible with the new generation of Ryzens you would need to update the bios. Board manufacturers started releasing those bios updates in the last quarter. Do you have a first or second generation Ryzen CPU already?

I have my ryzen in my sig...updated my current mobo to support the R3 2200G, if I recall correctly...but I haven't read enough to know what kind of resolution i can get with the R3 2200G with my current mobo (or a new chipset mobo)...only gonna be using it for photo editing and 4k video watching (I don't shoot much video so the video editing isn't important)...so if it'll support that, I may not upgrade mobos...yet. idk.

The 3200G should support 4K@ 60Hz and your board supports 4K@ 30Hz

I may just say eff it all and just buy an rx580 now that prices are good...makes more sense than upgrading mobo and cpu...and it'd be easier just to insert a card than redo the mobo-cpu...but there's no fun in that way of thinking :/

You've been a member here for 16 years and the thought of inserting a video card being easier is the line of thinking?!!! Shame on you!!! :p ;rofl:

But yeah, that will give you somewhere around a 40% performance improvement over your 1050Ti. ;)

You've been a member here for 16 years and the thought of inserting a video card being easier is the line of thinking?!!! Shame on you!!! :p ;rofl:

But yeah, that will give you somewhere around a 40% performance improvement over your 1050Ti. ;)

I was waiting for that response :p

Back