• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dust on my heatsink air filter, inside the case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

On a lark i decided to slap an air filter on my Thermalright SB-E Archon intake fan.

When i swapped my video cards, I was amazed to see a find powder of dust on this air filter inside the case.

Are there any cases that are hermetically sealed except for the filtered intake vents?
I'm tired of vacuuming out dust inside my PC.

On a lark i decided to slap an air filter on my Thermalright SB-E Archon intake fan.

When i swapped my video cards, I was amazed to see a find powder of dust on this air filter inside the case.

Are there any cases that are hermetically sealed except for the filtered intake vents?I'm tired of vacuuming out dust inside my PC.

No, but you could get creative with duct tape :)

But even then, "dust" comes in different particle sizes, some of it will always get through, the mesh on most fitlers used is just not fine enough.

You can tackle that with (automotive) Oil bath or Paper filters or even a cascade of stacked filters, including at least one HEPA filter.

You also need filters on BOTH intake & exhaust; because when the PC is off, dust (like sand) will creep in Green Beret style through the non-filtered exhaust.

But then you would need a ridiculous amount of fan power to overcome the restriction, and i'm not talking about "just a couple of Delta's".

PS: Fujitsu-Siemens does Industrial Application PCs... from grease proof to airtight :)

Have more intake than exhaust will keep the dust from coming through the cracks. You can also keep the house cleaner (by using a better filter on the HVAC unit) as well as a better filter your vacuum cleaner (i.e... a Dyson).

But even then, "dust" comes in different particle sizes, some of it will always get through, the mesh on most fitlers used is just not fine enough.
+1

You also need filters on BOTH intake & exhaust; because when the PC is off, dust (like sand) will creep in Green Beret style through the non-filtered exhaust.
While Im sure it can help... I wouldn't, and never have, filtered my exhaust... too restrictive.

The cheap filters aren't that effective. Car air filters and good quality HVAC air filters will work better.

not when you are using deltas bro, everyone knows to get good airflow you need high speed deltas.
Thanks NiHaoMike... :rofl:

EDIT: Bwaaaaaaaaahahah, I didn't even see he posted in this thread until AFTER that comment... :p

building on the theme "keep the house cleaner"...
Several showers a day and exfoliating like scrubbing yourself with first a rough towel, then a microfibre cloth will minimise dust.... after all, most common household dust consists of 80% dead human cells
:D

Opening your case to dust it out has some other effects that you may benefit from as well. You have a chance to look at the emptiness and start planning your next component purchase, upgrades, better cable management.....just a time for reflection....:cool:

The only filter that removes all dust is thick enough that normal fans can't get air through them. Computer filters have to be very thin and free flowing as computer fans are very low pressure.

Edited for phone based typos.

Last edited:
It's not possible to remove "all dust" (or at least not practical to), but a pleated HVAC air filter will have almost no restriction at such a low flowrate. Get one about the size of the side of your case and mount it with some standoffs about an inch or two away and seal up the gaps.

It's not possible to remove "all dust" (or at least not practical to), but a pleated HVAC air filter will have almost no restriction at such a low flowrate. Get one about the size of the side of your case and mount it with some standoffs about an inch or two away and seal up the gaps.

Because that won't look terrible or anything.

Everybody loves how huge hvac filters look! I hang them on my walls as decoration.
Spray foam and / or duct tape is great for sealing gaps and would really complimant the massive filter.
Of course, if you have a case like almost every modern case out there the doesn't have all the intake on one side, you'll need a lot of spray foam.

I'd rather not hear my computer even once, hence my free flow filters and quiet fans. If I have to peel the dust off twice a year, I'll live.

Back