• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dust on my heatsink air filter, inside the case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@RnRollie

"Fujitsu-Siemens does Industrial Application PCs... from grease proof to airtight"

I'm guessing I can't just buy a case from Weyland-Yutani, oops Fujitsu-Siemens.

So no one makes cases designed to keep dust out?

I guess I never realized how good car and motorcycle intake filtration systems really were. I've
never seen dust on the inside of any carburetor or throttle body -- even on my off-road motorcycles, which saw a lot more dust and sand than any PC I've ever had.

Yeah those have far, far thicker filters and vastly faster airflow.
I have seen dust inside though.

could use a k&n filter cold air intake... hear those get great air flow.

Yeah those have far, far thicker filters and vastly faster airflow.
I have seen dust inside though.

On a properly maintained K&N or Unifilter system you've seen dust inside? I never have -- across three different off-road motorcycles that been driven off-road all over the place.

could use a k&n filter cold air intake... hear those get great air flow.

I can just see it now, sorry, I can't go to the LAN party, I have to clean and re-oil the air filter on my computer.

I actually looked into that kind of idea when I had a downdraft, thermaltake Big Typhoon. I had to cut a giant hole in my sidecover so I could get clearance for the
Big Typhoon and shrouded, 120x38mm Delta fan. I couldn't find any automotive, universal air filters that had a big enough diameter to cover the entire hole in my sidecover.

Most of the dust seems to be coming from the bottom intake grate (which was ~2" below the three high power fans I had blowing on my Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II [try saying that 5 times fast]) Maybe I'll see if I can get some HVAC filter material and cut it to fit.

On a properly maintained K&N or Unifilter system you've seen dust inside? I never have -- across three different off-road motorcycles that been driven off-road all over the place.

i have, on my jeep cold air intakes for them are terribly designed the fan blows water right into the filter lol i had dirty muddy water stains inside my intake tube... put a factory one on. lol didnt like it anyway it was on when i bought it. plus factory intake gave me like +3mpg.

i have, on my jeep cold air intakes for them are terribly designed the fan blows water right into the filter lol i had dirty muddy water stains inside my intake tube... put a factory one on. lol didnt like it anyway it was on when i bought it. plus factory intake gave me like +3mpg.

I once accidentally dumped my Honda XR250R in a pond I was crossing when I hit a deep spot. I got it up pretty quick, the motor was still running (but I used the kill switch to shut it down pretty quick), not a drop of water inside the air filter. Of course the airbox on those things has a gasket and only intakes from the top (under the seat).

I've seen it on cars. Probably a higher air velocity through the filter, gives the charged oil less time to grab the dust.

To be fair to K&N, 26 years of auto repair you see a lot.

A big high surface area K&N is probably low enough restriction to use with a decent computer fan setup.

the problem with automotive air filters is that they are based on terrible high psi airflow available
The air intake is based on the vacuum created when the cylinder is going down... at that point A LOT of air is sucked in .... look up 4-stroke engines :)
I *think* it mounts up to the equivalent of 10bar
Which would be like +100000 mm H2O (or +4000 inch H2O) ... i dont know of ANY fan except maybe a turboprop or jet engine that can do that; certainly not those puny fans in PCs :)

But i could be wrong about the 10bar to "overcome" the restriction, it might be a lot less, but even then... :)

EDIT:
looking at the superflower, you can get away with a lot less pressure needed while still having good airflow :)
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/33-2474.pdf

So, i *think* the airfilter on a VW passat or on an Acura is about 130*260*45mm which would make it about the right size (like a radiator) to fit in a front intake case; so, go ahead, give it a try :)

However, regular automotive filters are not designed to keep the very fine dust out... since it can just be burned. They DO avoid it though, because a "bad" flame affects performance/consumption... but they are a compromise. Aftermarket "racing" filters are different thou, depending on application... if you are going to strip your entire engine after each race (F1 style), then you can use different filters as the school-run-soccer-mom-mobile :D

PS: i wonder where i came up with the 10 bar??? must be something about the amount of air sucked in through a venturi to create the right mix... i'm getting old... :)

PPS: stil not going to be able to use "silent" fans thou

Last edited:
Back