• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dx58so board and i7 920 processor first time over clocking *noobie*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grss429

Hello, name is bryan first time over clocking here!, from the help of a friend and some online reading.. this is what i've come up with

i've been monitoring temps with hw monitor.
Checking GHZ, with CPUZ
Running prime95

I know this is no shape or for 100% stable yet, as I've only been running prime for 2 hours, then I went and played a game of CS 1.6, and had no issues, computers been on for 4 hours, no issues, later on today when I get home I'm going to let prime run for some more time.

Now if some of you experts could tweak a little and give me some insight. I'd be happy. I've tried 4 GHZ, at 1.425VCORE and 191 BCLK, but I blue screend. and didnt want to push voltage cause it seemed high.

I dont know anything about VTT/QPI/dram, and was told not to change it for such a low overclock..

My motherboard doesn't seem to support PLL.

BCLK 181
Multiplier 22x
Speed 3.98 ghz (says the bios) CPUZ reads 3.8 ghz.

vcore is at 1.4V, I've tried stock 1.35 and inbetween so far everything i get it blue screens. 1.4 seems to be key here.

as far as memory goes I have no clue on what's GOOD, or anything like that this is just what was suggested to me for now

memory multiplier 8x
tCL 7
tRCD 7
tRP 7
tRasmin 24
Voltage 1.66
Command rate 1T

Now with this setup^

temperatures are

Idle
53242523.png

When prime is loaded, temps go up to about 80ish, highest was 85, but it doesn't go over that.

One thing I dont understand tho, is when prime is loaded it will stay at 3.8 ghz for a minute then bounce back down to 3.6, then every one inawhile it will go back up to 3.8, but when I'm only doing like a 3-5 thread prime test it sticks at 3.8 ghz

i7 920 C0
DX58so board
gtx 285 super clocked
Also have a hyper 212 plus cooler.

3x 2 gb sticks of Kingston kvr133d3n9 memory, I couldn't find the timing for it, although when I go to the bias stock timing is 8-7-7-7 1.5v I believe (could be wrong here)

now I dont know anything about over clocking really, I've read into it a bit, I know my way around a computer (built them for years) although i've never really done any bios stuff basically i'm looking for some help on what to change and how far and good stuff like that

Last edited:
On mine, I set PLL to 1.65V, multi to 19, bclk to 201, QPI to 1.36V, DRAM to 1.66V (stock 1.65V), set my stock RAM timings 7-8-7-24 and set the ratio 2:8 putting my RAM at just over 1600MHz, CPU Voltage to +.1V (1.35V). Disabled C states, and EIST (turbo). This puts my 920 C0 at 3.828 rock solid. If I remember correctly off the top of my head, everything else is set to Auto.

EDIT: Oh, and PCIE to 103MHz
Remember the QPI and DRAM have to be within .5V of each other. If your RAM is stock 1.5V your good.

Last edited:
Well with theses settings I have now it seems stable.. I set tweaked the ram last night to 7-7-7 24 seems to be doing fine

You should run MemTest 86 for about 12-24 hrs, and then bench the whole system with as many benching tools as it will take at the same time for 24hrs to verify stability.
I ran Prime blend test, ripped a DVD over and over with Handbrake, and ran Furmark for 24 hours. Then ran MemTest86 for about 20 hours.
That's just personal preference really, I don't want any errors so I beat on it for a while to verify it.

You should run MemTest 86 for about 12-24 hrs, and then bench the whole system with as many benching tools as it will take at the same time for 24hrs to verify stability.
I ran Prime blend test, ripped a DVD over and over with Handbrake, and ran Furmark for 24 hours. Then ran MemTest86 for about 20 hours.
That's just personal preference really, I don't want any errors so I beat on it for a while to verify it.

Will definitely do more testing as I do not play alot of games (TF2, CS 1.6) and watch movies.. but atm this is what i got

memory multiplier 8x
tCL 7
tRCD 7
tRP 7
tRasmin 24
Voltage 1.66
Command rate 1T

What does command rate actually do? all theses timings/overclock was suggest/tweaked a littel if i had BSOD

I believe Command Rate refers to how many clock cycles it takes to send data. Try setting 1T and run Super PI then set 2T and run Super PI again, go with which ever is faster.
I have a feeling 1T will be, but in some cases 2T works out to be faster/more efficient (from what I've read). Sometimes it's just too fast and 2T works better.

By the way, :welcome: to the Overclocker's Forums!

I believe Command Rate refers to how many clock cycles it takes to send data. Try setting 1T and run Super PI then set 2T and run Super PI again, go with which ever is faster.
I have a feeling 1T will be, but in some cases 2T works out to be faster/more efficient (from what I've read). Sometimes it's just too fast and 2T works better.

By the way, :welcome: to the Overclocker's Forums!

Will do, but as a first time over clocker how does my settings look?, and I dont have PLL on my board

What are your temps under load? 1.4V on the CPU seems high but if your temps are good under load I suppose it's alright. I couldn't get mine stable (possibly has to do with my board) past where it is now, maybe a few MHz higher on the board but that's it. The C0's are tough to get up past 3.9 without a good OCing board. Depends on the chip too, some C0's on an Asus board will bang up past 4 no prob. If you can drop the multi and raise the bclk, might be able to drop the voltage down to a comfy 1.35 which will give you better longevity and better temps. That's up to you though. If you're not erroring out you should be good.

Edit: sorry, I missed the 80C load temps. that's fine under load. Oh, I forgot to mention, the load dropping the speed to 3.6 could be a thermal issue 85* is a bit too high. Not that your ever going to run it at that kind of load on a regular basis but I'd drop the multi and raise the bclk and try to get it stable at 3.8 and work from there. Better yet, I had the same issue with my board running the multi at 21 where the multi drops to to stock under load. Not sure why that is. That's why I went with the multi 19 and bclk of 201.

Last edited:
I'll probably be away the majority of this weekend (leaving in a minute) but I'll try to check in.

Some X58 boards will throttle at full load because they can't deliver enough power to the CPU. This is usually a power problem and not a temperature problem. Asus was nice enough to write some special bios versions to get around this issue for overclockers.

When stress testing with Prime95, try running RealTemp. It will give you a more precise look at the CPU multiplier so you can see when throttling begins. If you have a Kill-a-Watt meter, you will probably see a direct relationship between power consumption and throttling.

RealTemp 3.70
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.70.html

Back