• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E2200 overclock issues. . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

Ok my setup is listed in my sig. when i try and rase the fsb higher than 237mhz my system just says: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
here is my available bios settings:

cpu voltage: i have set to +.025 which reads 1.232v under cpuz.
memory voltage: i have left alone its set to 1.8v
nb/sb voltage: i have left this alone as well set to 1.55v
fsb voltage: also havent played with set to 1.2v
cpu clock: 237mhz stock is 200mhz i have an 11x multiplier
i cant seem to get past this point. this translates to little over 2.6
stock is 2.2. i want to get to 3
system ram frequency: 667mhz
pci: 33.33mhz which is stock.
pcie: changed from auto to 100mhz. doesnt help.

i noticed that in my manual it says that there should be an option for cpu multiplier but it does not show up in the bios, is this due to my proccessor? i just can figure out why it wont go any more no matter how much i pump it up or down. i really wanna hit 3ghz out of this thing. what am i doing wrong or am i just pushing this system too hard?

yes it boots fine up until 237. 220 is stock. am i hitting the brick wall.

As I'm unfamiliar with that board, I'm going to take a step back and let someone else try to help out here. I'm at a loss, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the CPU. My E2180 does 3.3Ghz so I'm sure that E2200 could do very close if not better.

ok well thanks for your help. im glad to hear its not the cpu. i had this posted in the mobo section but got little to no help. it looks like my hasty motherboard decision may have limited me greatly. i jsut cant see throwing $60 away and buying a new one. not yet.

Heh, not sure I was that much help, but hey depending on where you got the board, you might be able to trade in on something else if that turns out to be the problem.

(I'm not trying to keep this near the top ;))

I assume your doing your OC'ing the "proper" way, by slowly bumping up the FSB, running a quick stability check, then bumping it up again. And good for you if you are. However, sometimes when you do this you find FSB "holes" where, for whatever reason, your chip+motherboard just don't want to play nicely together at that FSB range. The 945P officially supports up to a 266MHz FSB, so have you tried just jumping your FSB straight up to 266MHz? I'd try that, and either drop your multi down to like 8 so you still aren't going above stock speeds (to take your CPU out of the equation) or just give your CPU some more juice. Don't forget to adjust your FSB or VVT voltages too. I'm pretty sure that the consensus is that you need to adjust those way before you'd need to play with your CPU voltage. Hope this helps.

Try bumping up PCIE to 110 and see if you can push further.

945s cannot fully lock the PCIE bus and hence must scale with the FSB.

thanks a lot guys i will give it all a try within the next 24hrs and let u know the results. thanks again for all the help.

I think I'd be very careful changing the PCI-E speed above 100mhZ. You can damage your video hardware. Just my opinion.

Z

ok well i tried everything above and nothing prevailed. push the pci only made it so it wouldnt even post. boosting voltages didnt help. and cranking it up to 266 did my no good as well. i have no option for multiplier. the thing i did notice was that both my sata dvd drives showed up but it wont detect my hdd. is it possible my hdd is what's holding me back?

ok well i tried everything above and nothing prevailed. push the pci only made it so it wouldnt even post. boosting voltages didnt help. and cranking it up to 266 did my no good as well. i have no option for multiplier. the thing i did notice was that both my sata dvd drives showed up but it wont detect my hdd. is it possible my hdd is what's holding me back?

I doubt it's the hard drive "holding you back." It's sounds like the either the ide controller is craping out, or you have a major stability issue some where.
Have you tried dropping the ram frequency lower and retesting?

i have tried dropping the ram frequency as well. no luck there. so if my ide controller is whats holding me back its my mobo basically? my hdd is sata so that wouldnt be the ide controller would it?

any other suggestions do i really need to break down and buy a new m/b i really dont want to. if so what should i get to push this thing to the limit. i really wanna get 3ghz out of it.

okay i swapped in an ide hard drive and that got it working. . . well i got windows to boot at least. so my new question is it because i was using the sata drive or just the particular hdd that i was using? any clue? i dont have another sata hdd to test with and will buy a new one if thats all it is. any suggestions will be appreciated. thank you.

The 945 chipset is kinda flaky about locking PCI-e frequencies, and more often than not it doesn't work. So, chances are at 237fsb, your PCI-e is hitting 118mhz..., regardless of whether you have it set for 100mhz in BIOS. 115mhz is about the limit for SATA hard drives and the like.

I'd recommend a BSEL mod... lock your processor to the 266 strap (and I'm assuming you can't do that from BIOS... look around, maybe you can). That'll get your proc up to ~2.93ghz, and shift the PCI-e and everything else back to stock frequencies. The CPU may require a bit of voltage boost to get that speed, maybe not. Mine took ~1.4v to get that high.

i can raise it to 266 in the bios if thats what you mean. will the bsel mod lock my pci-e?

It won't lock it, but it'll shift it to a different divider. Right now it's running at 1/2 FSB speed, and switching to the 266 strap will put it at 3/8 I believe.

You could try just setting 266mhz in BIOS. That may or may not actually switch it to the 266 strap, different boards do it differently, but it's the easiest approach to try first. If that doesn't work, you'll need to draw a new trace on the chip itself, as outlined here. Not too hard to do, takes a half hour or less, even with unsteady hands.

thank you everyone, with special thanks to thrashbarg as his suggestion seems to be working. i did the bsel mod and it booted right up at 266. i havent tried pushing it any farther but i will. thank you everyone once again.

now kicking out 3.2 at what seems stable i dont have the time or engery to test rite now or monitor to temps but will keep you all posted.

Back