• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 + P5Q Pro OC help please :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john240sx

I've read everything I could find and tried everything I could think of trying to OC my E8400 over 400Mhz FSB and nothing seems to help.

Asus P5Q Pro
Intel E8400 EO stepping
Xigmatek HDT S1284 heatsink
Coolermaster HAF 930 case
G.Skill PC8000 2x2gb
Corsair 650TX 650w PSU

CPU temp never exceeded 40c to TJmax according to coretemp (60c reported temp).

This is my current bios settings for 3.6Ghz (9x400)
CPU Ratio 9
FSB 400
PCIe 101 (tried 100 and auto, no difference but 101 is the popular ideal setting)
FSB Strap 266Mhz
Dram Freq 1003Mhz
Dram Timing ~ Transation Booster Auto

CPU voltage 1.225 (1.208 idle/orthos load)
CPU GTL ref auto
CPU PLL 1.52
FSB Termination 1.52
DRam 2.1v (Rams rated voltage)
NB Voltage 1.12
SB Voltage auto
PCIe/SATA auto

Load-Line Enabled
CPU/NB Spread spectrum disabled
CPU/NB Clock Skew enabled

C1E, Max CPUID, Virtualization tech, TM Function and Execute disable bit are disabled.

I ran orthos for 96 hours without any errors (work long hours so wasn't using the pc anyway lol) and have no signs of any instability.

After spending several hours messing with settings I gave up at these settings. Note: No difference in stability from 410Mhz to 445Mhz FSB with these settings. Orthos errors within 60 seconds in Blend and 2-3 minutes small FFL.

CPU Ratio 9
FSB 445
PCIe 101 (tried 100 and auto, no difference but 101 is the popular ideal setting)
FSB Strap 333Mhz
Dram Freq 1003Mhz
Dram Timing ~ Transation Booster Auto

CPU voltage 1.4 (1.386 idle/1.388 orthos load)
CPU GTL ref auto
CPU PLL 1.60
FSB Termination 1.30
DRam 2.1v (Rams rated voltage)
NB Voltage 1.38
SB Voltage auto
PCIe/SATA auto

Load-Line Enabled
CPU/NB Spread spectrum disabled
CPU/NB Clock Skew enabled

I didn't just jump up to 445Mhz or those voltage settings, thats just where I stopped before I went nuts. Nothing I did seemed to do anything for stability, even setting the CPU multiplier to 6 and ram to under 900Mhz to be positive I wasn't running into problems there.

I updated my Bios from the stock 1103 to 1406m (ket's) with no change.

I think the only thing I've accomplished is knocking a couple years off my CPU and mobo's lifespan :cry:

Sorry if this post isn't very organized, just got off a 10 hour shift at work after only 3 hours sleep so i'm just trying to be accurate lol. I just know I'll forget something important but I need to get to bed. I've just about givin up and accepted either the cpu or mobo simply can't exceed 400mhz fsb heh.

P.S. I'm a bit of a newb with modern overclocking, last OC'ing I did was with a 1.6Ghz Applebred Duron and an Abit NFS-S mobo (sucker practically overclocked it's self, you were just along for the ride and start benchmarks :p) so don't be afraid to suggest something newbish hehe.

ok well for starters dont leave CPU GTL at auto. it is prolly overvolting in that area which will cause instablilty. 45nm likes low CPU GTL settings, try .63x or lower, i looked over reviews of the board. none of them show the different settings for CPU GTL. you may also want to bump your FSB term voltage to 1.35. i would try setting the cpu GTL manually first to some no higher then .67x if that is a option. i saw the review show .65x, so i wouldnt go any higher then that assuming the next step puts it at .7Xx area. another thing you need to do is take "Dram Timing ~ Transation Booster" off auto and set it to standard. after you set the CPU GTL and Dram Timing ~ Transation Booster try running prime95 agian.

I would also change your memory to 1:1 for now. Your board doesn't have a "1:1" setting. Hit enter on DRAM frequency and one of the mhz options will be exactly twice what your current FSB is. This is 1:1.

You don't need to put PCIe at 101; 100 is fine.

I would set SB volts at 1.1 or 1.2. I generally hate auto settings. I always fear the mobo is trying to tweak them and screwing up my OC.

Personally I've never found much help from gtl settings, and from what I hear duo's are even less sensitive. But since you are having problems it can't hurt to play with them, there are only 3 settings on that board.

Have you tried backing all settings except memory down as low as you can go at stock speed? How about trying to find a max FSB with low multi? Recording this info can often be wealth of information and help you approach OC walls armed with more knowledge of what your setup can do.

@karkas
I haven't tried undervolting at stock speed yet, could be fun to see how low this chip will go heh. I did try using the 6x multi and still couldn't go past 410 fsb. I've read these boards sometimes have issues with the 400mhz strap so I tried the 333 strap, both gave the same result.

@Evilsizer
I'm going to start from scratch instead of trying to pick up where I stopped last time. This board only has .61, .63 and .65 options for CPU GTL. I'll start with .61 and see how that goes. I have auto and manual options for Transaction booster, when I select manual the CPL is set to 5, setting it to 8 seems to be a common suggestion so i'll start there.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I'll have some good news to report in a bit.

P.S. I noticed an error in my first post. for my 3.6Ghz settings I listed my FSB Term at 1.52, should be 1.12.

Ok, spent last night and today tweaking, stress testing and playing with a new puppy (haven't figured out how to OC it yet but it's a 3/4 Sheppard, 1/4 Siberian huskey stepping).

Highest stable OC I can get is 3.87Ghz. I can post at 4Ghz but can't get orthos blend to run more then 2 minutes without errors.

CPU Ratio 9
FSB 430
PCIe 100
FSB Strap 333Mhz (won't even post at 400)
Dram Freq 1033Mhz
Dram Timing ~ Transaction Booster Manual
CPL 14 (might be able to lower this a bit)

CPU voltage 1.344 load
CPU GTL .63
CPU PLL 1.56
FSB Termination 1.30
DRam 2.1v
NB Voltage 1.30
SB Voltage 1.10
PCIe/SATA auto

I'm content with this for now. Next weekend I'll be shooting for 4Ghz... even if I have to fry something to do it :attn:

you need to up your cpuv otlage more,if tring to test you cpu us "small", "blend" is for when you know the cpu/mem is stable. if you have done that already then you need to ad more NB voltage.

Back