• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy ram overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yorgos

Just overclocked a kit of G.Skill Value F4-2400C17S-8GNT by just getting voltage up to 1,35V and frequency from 2400Mhz to 3200Mhz. I stress tested them for about 6 hours with no errors. I haven't changed any values on the timings. Should this overclock be considered as a successful one?

The stock voltage on that RAM product is 1.2. Are you comfortable with jacking the voltage up to 1.35 for long term use? And did you have to relax the timings?

Please attach images of CPU-z tabs "Memory" and "SPD".

Last edited:
It is 1.2. I checked. I edited my post to ask OP if he was comfortable running that high a voltage long term. It's kind of on the cusp of what I would consider safe and the RAM has no heat spreaders, if in fact heat spreaders actually do anything since there has always been a debate about that.

I wouldnt worry about it honestly. DDR4 spec is 1.2V. XMP is 1.35V on most kits ranging to over 4000 mhz. Some are even 1.4V out of the box. :)

There are heatspreaderless (is that a word? Lol) 1.35V kits out there I'd imagine.

I just realized that at the SPD tab on the bottom it says 1,2Volts. Take a look. fdsadfas.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

fasfdsa.jpg

Right. 2400 mhz..1.2V. Not surprised you need 1.35V for 3200. It's fine. It's not like it's a different chip that takes 1
35V. ;)

Looks like a couple of the timings had to be relaxed but so little that I'm sure that the net performance gain is significant in those apps that will benefit from faster RAM.

I just set the Voltage to 1,34 just in case haha Is it normal tho that it takes a couple seconds more to boot?

I wonder what ICs are in that RAM. That's an unusually high overclock for value RAM.

I'll make the voltage issue a unanimous non event. G. Skill has DDR4 at 1.5v out of the box and the same lifetime warranty as the 1.2v stuff.

CL is lower... that is assuredly faster. Most anything will do 3200 @ 1.35V. :)

I have my doubts. Then why would people shell out the extra cash to buy the faster RAM? If there are no differences in ICs and it's just a matter of jacking the voltage up let's just all buy 2400 mhz RAM to begin with and turn the juice and clocks up? And why stop there? Let's just bump that 2400 mhz RAM voltage up to 1.5 and run it at 3600 mhz. "It's not like it's a different chip that takes 1.35V."

Then why would people shell out the extra cash to buy the faster RAM?

Speaking for myself, it's less work if I start closer to my goal. If you're going racing and can afford a Ferrari it would be silly to buy a Prius to hot rod.

Then there's overclocking RAM. I first gave that a whirl in 2010. It went so well I waited 8 years before I tried it again-and started with pretty good RAM that even I could OC. I don't think most consumers/computer users understand what RAM is, what it does, how it does it, or what the numbers mean. My understanding of the third item is Bigger Number=Go Faster (speed)----unless it's one of those Smaller Number=Go Faster (timings->but only some of them). I only went up 733 MHz and you'd think I showed Oppenheimer where he made a math mistake the way I was acting. LOL

Are there any after market heatspreaders for RAM? I would consider giving that a try mostly for aesthetics because I don't think they'll make that much of a difference.

I went from somewhere below 1.20v to a measured 1.450v when I overclocked my RAM and saw no change in RAM temp. I would be more likely to believe wrapping the sticks in metal keeps more heat in than it dissipates in most cases.

Back