• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK res on it's side

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Will a res like the EK multioption res work on it's side? The top would be running to the pump inlet and the bottom would be from the radiator outlet all on the same horizontal line. The two sides would be capped and used for filling.

I mainly want to take out the t-line to simplify bleeding but I only have this short length to put a reservoir.

I have an EK res mounted on it's side with no problems other than bleeding takes a lot longer.
It is set up just as you described it.

In your configuration, what purpose does the reservior serve? A reservior is suppose to eliminate the need for a "T" line, yet you still have to have one to keep the reservior full. Once your T line water goes down, you run the risk of air going through your system. This makes your reservoir essentially useless.

You could get away with tilting it slightly but to run it completely horizontal won't work once the water level drops a little.

Axis

Last edited:
In your configuration, what purpose does the reservior serve? A reservior is suppose to eliminate the need for a "T" line, yet you still have to have one to keep the reservior full. Once your T line water goes down, you run the risk of air going through your system. This makes your reservoir essentially useless.

You could get away with tilting it slightly but to run it completely horizontal won't work once the water level drops a little.

Axis

Originally, that was strictly a T-Line set-up. However, I had to regulary add water, unless I run a longer tube which is something I am trying to avoid. Why did I add a T-Line to the Res? It was angled in such a way that filling it up gets really messy, and the hole is not big enough for the syringe I am using.

You are right. Running it completely horizontal run the risk of getting air bubbles in the res when the water level runs low. I make it a point that it doesn't.

I am no WC expert. All I am saying is, an EK res, or any other multi-port res for that matter, can be mounted horizontally.

I'm actually running a setup very similar to Wicked_Pixies but on a slightly modified high speed PC tech bench.

The whole point of me getting one is to make filling it quicker. I never let the water levels get too low anyway. As long as the air bubbles bleed out quicker during filling then it's done its job.

IMHO, if you are going to mount this res horizontally, you are wasting the res. A t-line will function just as well mounted like that. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I simply would use a t-line that steps up from 1/2" to 3/4" and back to 1/2" so that you have a larger middle area.

Yall'll set up your loops however you want to, but wouldn't it make much more sense to have the T-Line/Res have the capped tube enter the res at its highest point to let the bubbles escape into the tube? With the capped tube at that angle, what prevents the res from developing an air pocket at its highest point?

I would disagree with those saying that this setup is effectivly a T-Line. I'd say a T-line would be more efficient at removing air from the loop than this silly make-my-res-an-air trap idea...

Yall'll set up your loops however you want to, but wouldn't it make much more sense to have the T-Line/Res have the capped tube enter the res at its highest point to let the bubbles escape into the tube?

The conventional way of doing it was never in question... and should be followed first, if your case/set-up allows you to do so.
In fact, 3 of my other WC rigs are set-up that way.

With the capped tube at that angle, what prevents the res from developing an air pocket at its highest point?

I would disagree with those saying that this setup is effectivly a T-Line. I'd say a T-line would be more efficient at removing air from the loop than this silly make-my-res-an-air trap idea...

Isn't the tube now the highest point?
With proper bleeding and maintenance, the basic principle remains the same.

If by silly you mean unconventional, then I agree with you.
I find it rather sillier when the OP states that he/she doesn't have a way to mount a res( or have a dangling T) vertically on a tech station,
yet people insist it's the only effective way of doing it, and no other alternative will do.

Yall'll set up your loops however you want to, but wouldn't it make much more sense to have the T-Line/Res have the capped tube enter the res at its highest point to let the bubbles escape into the tube? With the capped tube at that angle, what prevents the res from developing an air pocket at its highest point?

Oops. I forgot to mention :screwy: There will be a tube coming from the res. A res will be more efficient than a t-line in capturing air. My t-line takes ages to bleed. Maybe it's a good thing though, with it taking so long I get to leak check at the same time.

Isn't the tube now the highest point?
With proper bleeding and maintenance, the basic principle remains the same.

No it's not. In a horizontal tube, the entire top side of the tube is the highest point. Just because you have a T line coming off one of the ports doesn't mean air bubbles are going to rise up your tube. If the air is anywhere else along the top side of the reservior, it's going to stay there. If you have to make sure you have water in the T line all the time, you've effectively eliminated the use for the reservior.

If by silly you mean unconventional, then I agree with you.
I find it rather sillier when the OP states that he/she doesn't have a way to mount a res( or have a dangling T) vertically on a tech station,
yet people insist it's the only effective way of doing it, and no other alternative will do.

It's the only affective way to use THIS reservior. There are always other reserviors that might work in the space he has. Also as I stated above, If he or even you were to put the reservior at a slight angle, It would work considerably better and you wouldn't have to watch your T line water level so closely. It wouldn't be better than having it vertical but at least you run less of a risk of reintroducing bubbles back into the system.

Axis

Back